Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday's Thankfulness

I'm thankful for little boys' naptimes. I was able to cut out about 350-400 little holly leaf shortbread cookies this afternoon while Stephen and Timothy were at school and Christopher was sleeping! Whew! The orders are starting and I need to stay on top of things here. (ohio_mom ... I had lots of scraps today and contemplated saving them for your tummies - er- house, but some other little tummies got here first. Sorry.)

I'm thankful for lurkers. I got to hear from one of my lurking friends this week and found out what's been going on in her family lately. She's a busy woman, yet she took the time to write to me and tell me a bit of what's going on in her life. I wish she would take the time to blog, too, because I LOVE her style of writing ... it's just like the way she talks. There's lots of honesty sprinkled with dry humor and a hint of sarcasm at times. I've missed talking with her and I'm so glad she wrote to let me know she's still alive!! :) Enjoy your busy weekend, Lurker! You'll be fine! You always are.

I'm thankful that the boys love bran muffins. We've had a bit of a "problem" as of late that has required some additional bran to be incorporated into our diets, so I'm glad that when I make bran muffins for them, they gobble them up. They have no clue that it's for their own good. There is a down side of eating lots of fiber, though, and little boys think it's terribly hilarious. For some reason, when one of them had their little gaseous reaction today, the other shouted, "Attention students!" at the same time and they both cracked up. For the rest of the evening we would hear little toots and then someone shouting, "Attention students!" and then gales of laughter. Sigh. I thought I could teach them to not make this an issue, but I'm not sure anymore. I'm still thankful that they like bran muffins, though, because we have them often and I like them, too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mar, they'll never outgrow their reactions to the gaseous problems. When they grow up, they teach their nephews all the fun things they can do with tooting and burping...much to their parents dismay. Just something you learn to live with and ignore. (I could write a book about episodes at home, school, church, in the van, traveling, etc.) and it goes on and on and on! And you still have that mother's love, no matter how old they become, or how gross you think their behavior is. Enjoy them.

heidiannie said...

Ok- at the risk of sounding vulgar-"gaseous reactions"? Really!? Why not just say fart and be done with it? Fart is one of the oldest words in the English language- Chaucer used it in "Canterbury tales" - Jonathon Swift included it in his poems and Samuel Johnson had it in his dictionary of the English language! It is not a bad word! It is a word. A very old and quite descriptive word. Look it up in Wikipedia and read about it- it is considered vulgar because we no longer cherish old words as we once did. We have lost queer and gay and faggots to the homosexuals because we didn't insist on keeping their original definitions intact. I'm sorry- you can get rid of this small diatribe if you wish- but I LOVE words. And I think we should use them rather than euphemisms!

LindaSue said...

Mar, just don't let your brother, brother-in-law, and cousins teach them how to light their farts (little explosions between the legs!)....

And pears are also a great way to do the same job as added fiber....

Paula said...

Gas and boys. They just go together!

GramS said...

In 4th grade science we're talking about solids, liquids and gases. Guess what the first answer was when Mrs. B. asked for an example? Yep, fart! She told him not to be so gross, and continued on with the lesson. Today, she was talking about "he, she and it," and out came a tongue-twisted word, the same boy just looked horrified, and asked if she just said a bad word. If she would have looked at me, I'm sure I would have burst out laughing, but I did try to explain quietly to Nate that it was a mistake. I think Nate was the only one listening, because nobody else caught her mistake. She and I laughed when the class left the room.

Unknown said...

Here's a euphemism that one of my kids started. Now they both laugh when someone "burps from the butt."

Martha said...

Yeah, yeah. I know. I could have just used the word fart, but I wanted to give my readers the impression that I was a bit more sophisticated than that. Besides, I have a certain niece that has a hard time with words like that and I wanted to be sensitive to her in case she read this. :)

Anonymous said...

It's Ok, Mar, In a household of boys somebody has to be sophisticated so it might as well be the MOM...that way, they won't be so surprised when they're older and discover girls.