Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanks on Thanksgiving

I'm thankful for my family that called to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving today, knowing full well that it wasn't going to be celebrated here like it would be with them. It was fun to talk to see Christopher talking with Grandpa on the phone. He was trying soooo hard to see him in that phone as he checked it out over and over again. He knew it was Grandpa, but where was he? I'm thankful I could hear Mom in the background making her potatoes to take to Liz's because it made me feel a little bit more a part of the celebrations today.

I know I've mentioned this one on and off in various ways, but I am so very thankful for my husband and my boys. Today while I was at school visiting Timothy's classroom, Fred not only gave Christopher his lunch, but he also cleaned it all up, changed his diaper AND had him down for his nap - all in the short hour that I was gone! Was that a blessing or what?! And my boys ... I am so thankful for them! I had a conversation recently with another mom of all boys and she was saying things like, "Having all boys is such a hard job, but God knew! His plan is divine and He has a reason for this and just hang in there" etc, etc. She made it sound as if it is a sorry lot in life to have all boys. I disagree!! I prayed that each one of my babies would be a boy and God did allow that for our family! I LOVE having all boys! This isn't meant to start a debate on whether or not all girls are better than all boys or having a mix is the ultimate. No, I'm just stating the fact that I am so thankful that OUR family has been given three boys! It's noisy. It's rough at times. It's definitely NOT feminine around here. But I am thankful for this house of men!

And now as I write this late at night, I am also thankful for a quiet house. Everyone is in bed and there is only the hum of the appliances (and this old, scratchy computer) to be heard. Ahhhhh. Another day is put to rest and I can say from my heart that my children saw and heard Jesus in me today. Some days that's a little fuzzy because of ME, but today was a good day and I'm thankful for the peace in our home and in our hearts. When my day starts out with Him, we do really well walking together through our day!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

4 comments:

liz said...

I agree on all counts! We were happy to hear what was going on with you and Rog and Karen (through Mom). It was not the same as being together, but we deal with it (Joe was in the middle of sleeping and got up and then was tooooo tired later..).

But while he was up he carved the turkey and roasted some cauliflower and poured drinks and told me how much he appreciated me!

And my kids worked HARD to both get ready and clean up for the day. I also think we have the "right" family!

And at 10 pm last night--I was sleeping in the quiet house.

GramS said...

All this time I thought I had the best family....(still do think that, and thank that)
I'm glad we had the opportunity to call yeserday.
Love you all! Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that every day can and should be Thanksgiving Day. We take so much for granted! And God still loves us! That's awesome! Yes, family is such a wonderful part of life. Wht would we ever do without them! (And yes, sibs still love each other years and years down the pike, don't we..gram schley?) And I'm thankful for every one of them, and THEIR families.

Unknown said...

Thanks, mom for being the messenger. A bunch of folks from our org get together every Sun nite. Tonight was pie night because of Thanksgiving. It wasn't the same as family, but there was a rhubarb pie that was quite good.