Monday, November 3, 2008

Monday's Thanksgiving

1. I am thankful that I had 30 minutes to run to the store today BY MYSELF!!! Liz just posted on her blog that she was thankful her kids went along grocery shopping with her ... NOT ME! I'm thankful that they all stayed home with Daddy! It's sheer torture at this stage to take them all out in public when only Christopher can ride in the cart and he loudly protests about that the entire time when he sees his brothers running free. I can't stand taking them all to the store at the same time. If you ever want people to notice you, no need to wear flashy clothes or dye your hair a weird color. Just take three little boys to the grocery store, especially when they're tired, hungry and bored! Oh yes! I was thankful for that quick, solo shopping trip today!

2. I'm thankful for the boys' cooperation today at home. They were so much more pleasant and obedient today than normal. They would put away the toy/game they were playing with before getting out another one. They asked for things politely. They didn't fight too much. They did complain about supper, but I was kind of expecting that since I made split pea soup. They were a true joy to have around the house today ... and that's why I let them stay at home instead of taking them shopping with me! No need to ruin a good thing!

3. I'm thankful for my grocery list. I use a template that breaks my list down into categories of veggies/fruit, meat, dairy, household items and miscellaneous items. I also have a spot at the bottom of the list that shows my menu for the week so that I can buy accordingly. I love my list, but since the file is on the hard drive that I don't always have access to, depending on how Fred has adjusted my computer at any given time, I am not always able to print out the blank sheets to take with me. I am so used to "my" grocery list that when I just write things down on a plain piece (or scrap) of paper, I usually end up forgetting a ton of things because they're not in the right order. Oh my. Am I a perfectionist or what?!

4 comments:

liz said...

Some people write their lists based on the aisles in the store. Or so I've heard! I still forget to put things on the list, forget the list, and forget to read the list at the store, so organizing probably wouldn't make much difference!

Anonymous said...

I can well relate to your #1 item. I had to take 3 kids grocery shopping with me almost forever! Once I sternly told them to straighten up and act their age...only to have the lady in front of me exclaim, "They are, ma'am". Then they grew up, and I dearly miss them all!

heidiannie said...

As far as lists go- I make one and give it to Frank and he goes off to find all the items that he wants specifically. I like that system - because then I can buy healthy vegetables without hearing all the complaints. I heard that in Montana, the ranchers consider chicken a vegetable. That is exactly what Frank thinks. Let's have a roast with some friend chicken on the side!

LindaSue said...

Mar, forward me a copy of your template, please!

I USUSALLY don't mind taking my two little ones with me to the store, although I jump at the chance to go by myself! Plus, it's easier going with them than with Tony...he does a cost analysis on EVERY single item (he once spent over 30 minutes at Sam's Club figuring out which toilet paper was cheaper based on ply and number of sheets) -- it's frustrating to try and convince him that some items really are worth the extra money while other items aren't.

Our grocery stores have these REALLY cool carts -- they're different "cars" that can buckle two kids in front of the cart and up to two more in the cart...we also have mini carts kids can push and they love doing that, too!