Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Time For Reformation!

No, no, no! I'm not talking about a reformation of the church or of the government or anything like that. I'm talking about a reformation of the education systems of the United States and Canada! Paraguay has something that other countries don't have! Since I only have experience with the US and Canada, I can only speak for them, so I declare that we need a reformation of our education system so that we can copy the model of the Paraguayans!
Today was the celebration of El Dia del Maestroes Y Obreros... Teacher's and Worker's Day! And what a celebration! The day started off with an assembly that the students organized and ran with each grade either performing or reading or singing or something for their teachers. There were many prayers being said on the behalf of the teachers from the Directors, the Pastors and other teachers. I couldn't understand everything, but even still, I had a hard time fighting back the tears! The teachers were treated with such respect and honor that was unbelievable to me. After the assembly in the sanctuary of the church, the teachers were dismissed first to go to their classrooms where the students had brought in buffets of goodies from empanadas to sandwiches to tartas and cookies, bottles of pop and bags of candies. The teachers' desks were overflowing with gifts and cards from the teachers in appreciation for their services.

(Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but this is my favorite class! The morning 6th graders. )

Since we were not homeroom teachers, we got to go from room to room enjoying the treats and receiving hugs and gifts and candy from all our English students. I've only been here for two weeks with these children (not even two weeks, actually) and yet they showered me with love and gifts! I was blown away! I can only imagine what a homeroom teacher must feel after being flooded with such encouragement from her classroom!

The wonderful part is that even though the celebrations were today and the children were allowed to go home after two hours of partying at school, Thursday is the actual holiday so schools are closed! The teachers are invited to La Quinta for a day of swimming, asado (fantastic barbequed meat), and relaxing fellowship over shared terere' (ice cold Yerba Mate' served in a special cup with a special metal 'straw').

Oh yeah. If we could get an educational reformation going in North America, I think we would probably have more happy and content teachers and more respectful students. There was some definite bonding going on today and the relationship between these students and teachers can only improve from here on out!

I was blessed to be a part of this special day!

1 comment:

a.peg said...

Respect has to be earned...both by the students and the teachers. What I see of some teachers, certainly does not demand respect. Likewise, the students. It's too bad, because there are so many good teachers and students that are overlooked by the "headlines" the not so good ones get.
I'm thankful for God's mercies that are new every morn...we just have to accept them.