Sunday, April 5, 2009

Helpful Hints?

Our whirlwind weekend with Mom and Dad here is over. The fun is in the past and now the work must begin. Dad was so helpful this weekend drilling the holes for our Rubbermaid bins that we're taking to Paraguay. Mom helped me pack a few of those bins. What a lifesaver! Now this week I MUST get down to business and get OUR stuff pulled out and packed! I have to make sure the boys fit into the summer clothes, sandles and swimming trunks that we have. (I have to make sure that * I * fit into mine, too!) I need to think about EVERYTHING that I have to think about because this is my last week to get it all done!

One of the things that I've been trying not to stress over is the plane trips. A friend of mine got a bunch of little toys for the boys and wrapped them all up to take on the plane. This should keep them somewhat occupied! Grandma also brought some great backpacks and little fun things to put in them so that the boys have something to do while we're waiting or when they're bored on the plane. Do any of you have any suggestions on what works best for flights for little kids? What kinds of snacks? Toys? Activities? Games? What about suggestions of things to do while we're sitting in the Sao Paulo airport for several hours? I'm happy to entertain any and all suggestions, as I will need them to entertain three little guys pretty soon!

Stephen doesn't know this yet, so don't tell him, but we got him an el cheapo digital camera at Christmas (we're talking a $3-4 job) and we're going to give it to him as an early birthday present. His birthday is the weekend we get back home, but we thought that this camera might be a very good thing to have on such a special trip. Maybe just having him play around with his camera in the airport will help pass the time!

So, here we go! Hunker down and get busy this week, Martha, and be thankful that you're not the one that has to put away the contents of eight Rubbermaid bins stuffed to the gills! Karen, I know you all will be thrilled to get all the goodies inside, but YOU also have to be the one to put them all away! (I think that worse than packing for a trip is having to UNpack when you get home! Ugh.) Ok. I'm off now to be efficient! Hahahahaha!

4 comments:

LindaSue said...

when we travel, I keep the kids backpacks in plain view (before we leave) but tell them they are NOT allowed to get into them....they're really good about obeying, and it builds the anticipation of "travel only" stuff. Walmart has cheapo ($1-2) "play" cameras we got them; look into the etch-a-sketch type things where they can write then erase; crayola has some great marker sets that color only on special paper...otherwise, nothing shows up. There are also some great twist-up color pencil/crayons my kids love (only for traveling/church) -- don't have to worry about sharpening them or breaking or having them peel off the paper! If you can take a laptop, take some dvds. They each take one favorite stuffed animal and blanket. Raisins, juice bags (you might not get those thru security), sticker books and stickers....I also get those foam stickers and let them create their own master pieces....I keep the stickers in one zippy and have another for the garbage. Pez dispensers with an extra sleeve of candy...one candy for each stop you go to. Hidden pictures magazines...or make up some travel bingo cards (colored shirts, alphabet letters, etc.)

But....if I recall correctly...doesn't your brother in law suggest just drugging 'em to knock 'em out? :)

heidiannie said...

It has been a long time and LindaSue already gave you good ideas, but I think the best way to keep your kids happy and engaged is to be that way with them. If they have mom and dad's attention- everything is good.

a.peg said...

What to do with 3 small boys on a trip? On the way to Linda and Tony's wedding, our 3 grandsons didn't have much of a problem. They drank all the juice and pop the flight attendants offered, so it was first 1 to the BR, then the next, then the 3rd...for a few hours. That kept them entertained, and their parents extremely busy! Enjoy your trip. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Karen said...

Mom gave me plastic telephone cord type thingys to clasp onto their arms and mine so they stayed by my side like little pets. It worked especially when I was travelling alone. My kids liked the travel´kit games.