Monday, April 20, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy!

Wow! It today is any indication of what our next few weeks are going to be like, I'm not sure I'll be able to post on here as often as I'd like!

Today was the first day that Nancy and I got to be in the classrooms with Jason. Teacher Jason is from the US and has been teaching the English classes at Colegio Privado Adonai since February, the beginning of the school year. He's been here for six months now and seems to have blended into the Paraguayan culture and people very well. Today is his last day teaching before he leaves to go back to Florida for his cousin's wedding and Nancy and I got the crash course on what to expect this week as we cover for him while he's gone. My head is swimming. (I wish my body were, too. Maybe I'd be able to relax a little more! :)

After a day like today when Nancy and I were immersed in the Spanish language, I really, really wish I would have listened to Mr. Wallace, my high school spanish teacher, much more closely and seriously. I can remember many simple vocabulary words, but I also wish he would have forced us to speak more often. I can read and I can write enough to get by, but I am at a loss when it comes to actually conversing with these precious students and friendly teachers. If I could only go back and take things more seriously ....

You can see that I haven't posted any pictures yet. I will. Don't worry. I just haven't had time to do that. Nancy has taken some wonderful shots of the things we're experiencing, but she's as busy as I am. Besides that, Fred's been on the computer checking out prices and configurations for all the computer projects he's in charge of here. I'm telling you, we're busy! But at the same time, life is very relaxing here in Paraguay (except for riding in the back seats of cars.)

I'll do my best to keep posting, but I can't promise. We're up and out the door by 6:00am every morning and we TRY to be in bed close to 9:00 every night. There isn't much time in between to use a slow computer, especially when your kids also need attention ... IN ENGLISH!

Speaking of that, the boys went to school today, too. Fred asked them at the end of the day if they knew any words from watching Dora the Explorer. Stephen said, "Yes. They said, HOLA." I was hoping they'd get a little more out of their day, but it will come, I'm sure!

Tomorrow we have off, so Karen is taking us to the farmer's market and then to a shopping mall for some gifts. It should be a fun day! Until then ... adios!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Your day off tomorrow does sound fun. Enjoy some of that fresh tropical fruit for me! Oh, I miss that so much from Puerto Rico:(