Friday, April 17, 2009

The Luggage

Last night as we were opening all the bins and suitcases, passing out gifts and getting excited about all the items that had been donated for the school, someone asked where something was. I replied that it was in the bin with the beanie babies. Huh? No one had seen a bin full of beanie babies. We searched all over and then realized ... I HAD LEFT THAT BIN IN OUR BASEMENT!!!!!! I forgot to bring it upstairs to load in Alex's truck when we left for the airport! Somehow we had missed it and didn't realize it until 1:00 in the morning in Paraguay! Grrr. That is so disappointing to me as I had also shoved in a few personal gifts for Karen's family in that bin, too, and now I couldn't give it to them! Well, what can you do?

By 2:30AM, we were finally ready to just drop over and decided to finish going through stuff the next day. Thankfully, the kids were already asleep at that point and Fred was just about there. I went into our room to get myself changed and I couldn't find my clothes. I looked in our our bags, dug through the boys' suitcase, Fred's suitcase, the clothes from the bins and that's when it hit me that we had left MY suitcase at the airport in Asuncion! We were so anxious to keep our eyes on our other bins because we were afraid that the over-anxious porters at the airport would run off with our bins, that we forgot to make sure that the rest of the suitcases were there!

It's so nice to have a sister here because she loaned me some pajamas, some clothes for today and I went to bed, praying that my suitcase would still be at the airport and intact in the morning. Oscar tried calling in the morning to see if it was there, and the person that would know that was on break or something, so he just left ... and came back with my suitcase!!! Thank you, Lord!

God really has been blessing each step of this trip so far, as eventful as it has been. We've not been too stressed, just tired. The boys have been fantastic, just tired. We are here safe and sound, just tired! We are so happy, and did I mention tired?

2 comments:

a.peg said...

Wow! And to think of the number of times I had "lost" luggage, compliments of the airlines and had to wait days for it to appear! God sure is good and is blessing you beyond measure! I'm sure this is a trip you'll NEVER forget! BTW, you now have a really good excuse to take this trip all over again..and bring the missing bin with you. (Love to Karen's family)

Joanna said...

wow... I'm so thankful for God's faithfulness - He did a great job of keeping you all safe and getting all of you and your belongings to Paraguay! (except the forgotten bag of course - so there was 2 'bags' per person - remember counting and recounting the bags as we put them through in Toronto? I agree though, you will just have another excuse to go back there! :)