Wednesday, January 9, 2008

In The Words of Winnie the Pooh...

In the words of Winnie the Pooh, today is a blustery day. We heard the wind howling all night. I heard objects being blown down the street. I heard our vent caps on the roof slamming down relentlessly. This morning Fred took the recycle box out to the curb and less than a half hour later, I noticed the box was flipped upside down and all our recyclables were blowing down the street. I ran out and tried to gather them all back, but I just couldn't bring myself to walk up on my neighbor's porch to retrieve the Corn Flake box that was plastered up against their railing. I don't know, maybe I should have, but it was only 7:20 in the morning and I just couldn't do it.

It's a blustery day for sure, so I've just ground some Koffie Fabriek Aroma Bandoeng coffee from Indonesia (funny, there's a sticker on it that says 'MADE IN TAIWAN') and I'm going to observe nature from inside today. This is the first time I'm trying this special coffee from Roger and Amy so I'm not sure how I'll be the rest of the day. It smells nice and strong so I hope I'm not overpowered with caffeine! I'm also going to have it with one of my muffins that I made yesterday. I had to hide one from the boys because they wanted to eat them all right from the oven yesterday! If you're feeling muffin-y today, try these! They're wonderful.

Wheat Germ Muffins
1 c sour cream (I used light)
1 c brown sugar (I used about 3/4)
1/4 c butter (I used less)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 c flour (probably could have used whole wheat but I was out)
1 c wheat germ
Mix above ingredients together and pour into muffin tins. Bake at 375 for approx. 20 min. (My recipe didn't give a time, so I guessed.)

These muffins are best shared with a devotional in front of you or over a cup of coffee with a friend!

6 comments:

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Muffins sound YuMMMMM... perhaps even better smothered in chocolate/??

Martha said...

Ah yes! I forgot to add that I dumped in a generous helping of chocolate chips! Delicicious!

Unknown said...

That coffee is all I drink these days. The beans are from Sumatera. They are aged several years (5-8 depending on blend), before roasting. Wow. A coffee lovers haven when it comes to aromas. That little factory is wonderful just to visit and smell. They don't serve coffee there, so you just have to drool all the way home.

Unknown said...

Oops. I guess that meaning is a bit unclear. That coffee is the only type of coffee that I drink.

Martha said...

Rog, I've been enjoying this coffee the past two days! You're right, it smells sooo good when I open the bag of beans! Delicious! Thanks!

rachel said...

Tut, Tut, looks like rain...muffins sound yummy. Could I have some with hunny?