Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Comments Overheard

Yesterday I sent the boys out to play since it was so nice and I had heard that it was supposed to warm up enough to possibly melt the snow today. They didn't really want to go and kept making excuses until I mentioned that they could take the sleds out and go sledding down the hill. Well, that sure got them going! They ran outside and off to the side of the house where I can't see them, unfortunately. Since I knew where they were, I was able to open the window in the living room to at least hear what they were up to. I heard them laughing so heartily and obviously having a blast, so I lingered a bit to eavesdrop on their play. That's when I heard Stephen say, "I never knew that something Mommy told us to do could be so much fun! I love this, Timothy!"

That sure got my curiousity up because I still couldn't see them, and for some reason, I just wasn't trusting that they were innocently sledding down the hill anymore! I pictured them jamming our neighbor's exhaust vents with snow or throwing snowballs over the fence into their shed or something, so I went out to investigate. I figured I would only be out there a few minutes to spy on them so I just slid on my boots and ran out the door. Stephen saw me, however, and all play stopped immediately. He asked me why I was out there and I told them that I just wanted to see what they were doing. I asked what they were up to and they came to life again telling me all their sledding experiences. But then Stephen stumped me with another question: "Mommy, why are you so blank?" Huh?! He repeated himself, "Why are you out here so blank?" "Why am I so WHAT?!" "So BLANK! You don't have a coat on!"

Now that's an interesting way to put it, isn't it? I've been described in many different ways, but I've never been called BLANK before. Knowing that they really, truly were just having fun sledding down the hill, I turned around and came back in before he came up with another word to describe me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Hope you'll never be anything worse to your boys then "blank". Keep enjoying them. God bless you all.

Karen said...

Do you rmember when Mr. Fretes told you that you were...Big and White. hahaha

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha said...

I remember, and I'd rather be called BLANK than big and white ... with red dots from Paraguayan monster mosquitos!