Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Vanilla

I promised you some words about the Double Strength Vanilla that Watkins has, and I will keep my word. I also promise you, though, that this will not become a Watkins blog! Although I'm becoming fascinated by what I'm learning about this company and it's products, there is more to my life than this!

I've been baking the past few days and I have been using my new bottle of Watkins Double Strength Vanilla. Wow! What a difference in 1.) smell 2.) viscosity (thickness of the liquid) and 3.) overall results! When you first open the bottle you are immediately impacted by the strong scent of vanilla. It's so REAL! Then I started to pour it in the measuring spoon (using only half of what the recipe called for) and it was so thick ... not runny, brown water like I'm used to with the no-name brand I usually use. The cookies also taste wonderful! I never thought that buying the quality stuff would make that much of a difference, but I do love it!

Today I was browsing some Watkins stuff and I came across a newsletter that gave some interesting facts about vanilla. Get this: if you add a few drops of vanilla to your oil before you fry foods, it will take away the odors! Saturate a cotton ball with vanilla and put it in your refrigerator to freshen it. Put a few drops of vanilla in your vacuum cleaner bag or filter and your house will smell like vanilla. Vanilla rubbed on your hands will take away the fish smell after handling fish. Who would've thought of these?!

Anyway, I've fallen in love with this vanilla. The scent alone is what draws me to it. Mmmmm! Fred has been trying to teach me for years that sometimes you just have to buy QUALITY and not just the cheap stuff. This vanilla is one of those quality items that I'm going to be paying for now instead of the cheap stuff. It's amazing!

7 comments:

Peg Toth said...

This is also a vanilla tested use (but don't ask me how) A tespoon of vanilla will help eliminate flatulance and the odorous smell connected with it.) Only problem is that I forget to use it when I eat something extemely gas producing. You don't usually hear about this benefit of Watkins Vanilla because most people never admit they have a problem with flatulance! But, we all know EVERYBODY has that problem to some degree or another.

LindaSue said...

Watkins DS vanilla is not just quality, it actually is cheaper than most store brands -- in the US, it comes to about $1.25/ounce, but then taking into consideration that it is double strength and you should use only half of what the recipe calls for, it actually costs only 63 cents an ounce (did I do the math right?). What a bargain!

Martha said...

Oh my goodness, Aunt Peg! What kind of a post have I started here?! :) Liz, maybe your chili cook-off chefs and tasters should have had this before last weekend!

GramS said...

Maybe I should just dump out all the generic vanilla that I wanted to finish up first, and USE the Watkins that I have. In fact, after reading these blogs, I think I'll just add a teasp. of vanilla to everything I cook, even chili.
Anyone ever try that?

LindaSue said...

I haven't heard of anyone putting the vanilla in everything, but I do have someone who adds it to green beans! As fascinating as that sounds, I've not had the, um, motivation? to try that one yet!

And yes, dump out the generic vanilla. You'll realize what you've been missing the first time you use the Watkins one!

Peg Toth said...

Who ever would have thought Watkins vanilla could be so interesting to read about?

LindaSue said...

okay, so I tried the vanilla in the pan when frying bacon today...and it worked! I was totally amazed. Didn't alter the taste of the bacon, either.