Thursday, October 25, 2007

Catching Up




I'm going to catch up with a few photos from Grandpa's funeral back in September. The first photo is of the grandsons that were present at the funeral. (Left to right: Phil P., Aden P., Tim T., Adriel N., Jonathan P., Richard P., Mark P., Ron T.) Grandpa had a love for hats. We rarely saw him without one. All the grandsons were able to choose one of Grandpa's hats to wear as his pallbearer and then to take with them as a momento of Grandpa's life. I was honored to be the one to take Roger's hat back to Mom and Dad's after the funeral. I believe that Roger has one of the most precious hats because it was definitely worn and well-loved.
The plaque was displayed on Grandpa's casket and is so appropriate in it's description of Grandpa. He was a tiller of the soil, not just in the physical sense, but also the spiritual. Grandpa would never be considered a lazy man. He was always working and tilling his soil, both in his own acres of gardens and in the lives of people he loved.
The location we had for his graveside service was so appropriate. It was right next to the cornfield at the edge of the cemetary. It was so "Grandpa". Wow. This is hard for me to type. I'm trying to type with tears in my eyes. I'm missing you, Gramp! Looking at these pictures that Fred downloaded last night has gotten my memories flowing like crazy. He also found a picture last night as he was browsing through our files of Grandpa and Grandma sitting at the kitchen table. If I can find it again, I will post that one as well. It was a beautifully, typical shot of the two of them in their kitchen.

3 comments:

GramS said...

My tears welled up before I got too far on this blog. Thanks for the memories. This is so true. He worked with whatever God gave him and he was thankful!

liz said...

Great pictures. Thank you.

Peg Toth said...

Ditto to your mom's comments! When we sang "I'll Fly Away" at the grave side really put all things in perspective. It was easier to let Gramp go where he longed to be for so many years, especially since Gram. went before him. Love you much. (PS can you send those pictures via e-mail to me?) thanks!