Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thanksgiving

Oh give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good!

This is our Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. Officially it's on Monday, but I've noticed that here in Canada, you can pick and choose which day of the long weekend you want to celebrate. Some people celebrate several times with family members from all sides. I kind of like that.

To be honest, though, even though this is my ninth Canadian Thanksgiving, it still catches me off guard every October. Especially because it's on a MONDAY!!! It's hard enough for me to get used to it being so early (Mentally, I'm not ready for an official Thanksgiving holiday yet!), but to celebrate it on a MONDAY ... and then to have to jump right into the work week the next day?! Oh boy. This is still tough on me. Weatherwise, it really is a much better fit to have it at this time of year when there is truly a harvest, but October ... and Monday?!

Despite the calendar date of a Thanksgiving celebration, I am thankful. We were talking about thanksgiving at the supper table and it was interesting to hear what the boys had to say about it. Stephen is thankful for black olives on our pizza (can you guess what we were eating at the time?). Timothy was thankful for the park. Christopher just kept saying, "Thank you" because he knew that was the word he was to say. We did get more indepth, as much as a 5, 4 and 2 year old can get, and it thrilled me to see that they really did get the idea of being thankful. Fred shared that he is thankful that we have a safe home and that God has always provided us with whatever we have needed. I said that I am thankful that God gave us such a wonderful family. I'm sure we'll be talking about this more specifically over the weekend, but this was a start of our Thanksgiving celebration.

If I had to list all that I was thankful for, this post would be much too long. I have many generic things to be thankful for, but also some very specific ones. I am thankful that God protects our boys from serious injuries with their boyish playing. I am thankful for a close friend who saw a need that I had and met it in a way that I never would have dreamed of. I am thankful that my Watkins business is packed with activity over the next few months. I am thankful that God loves me and forgives me for my silly mistakes as well as my obvious downfalls. I'm thankful for peace and security amid the world's upheaval.

What are a few specific things that you are thankful for on this Thanksgiving weekend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I don't celebrate the Canadian thanksgiving, I like to think of every day as a day of Thanksgiving. God is so good to us in so many ways, and to think we take so much for granted! I'm thankful He forgives our "take it for granted" attitude and expectatins, and blesses us above and beyond what we can ever imagine!
I thank Him especially for my wonderful family, including sibs, neices, nephews, aunts, uncles, etc. and the Christian families he blessed us all with. And I could go on and on and on.
PS You can also come to Ohio in Nov. and have thanksgiving in the USA. (AND go Christmas shopping the next day if you so choose). Do they do that in Canada? Seems it would be so early to have the "Mad Dash to finish shopping" weekend in October...No snow, cold weather, etc.
Love you all

heidiannie said...

Yeah- Thanksgiving in October is like Christmas in July- I like it but the weather is wrong. I am thankful that God never gets tired or worn down by our requests and needs-or by our incessant neediness. I am thankful the He is GOD.

And I am thankful for my family- I love all the support and prayers and memories and history and love that we share.

liz said...

I thank God for you and for beautiful weather and for a comfortable bed and a book to read and safety for my kids and whole grain toast!