Monday, October 13, 2008

How Do They Learn Such Deceit?!

Christopher climbed into the bottom bunk tonight with the strict instructions to stay in bed or he'd end up in the crib again. He loves his bottom bunk ... but he also loves to climb out and explore the room after the lights have been turned off and the parents have left the room.

I was working in the kitchen and I heard the familiar little pitter patter of feet thumping out of bed and walking across the floor. Fred was still upstairs so I told him to go in and put Christopher back in the crib. He came down and said, "I thought you said he was out of bed. I went in there and he was laying with the blanket pulled up, eyes closed and breathing heavy. I don't think he was out of bed. He's fast asleep, unless he's becoming a good actor."

Not a whole minute later, I heard that same thump and then the pitter patters on the floor. This time I crept up the stairs as quietly as I could and opened the door. Good thing Christopher still wears a diaper because I think I probably made him pee his pants! I found him standing over by Stephen's bed, ready to climb in! That little boy was NOT asleep, but very much awake!

Christopher is now sleeping (for real) in his crib, but I just can't get over how he can pull something like that off at such a young age! How did he learn to do something so deceitful?! This little boy is awfully cute, but he's going to be giving us a run for our money, too!

7 comments:

LindaSue said...

hahahaha! Oh, I have one that is quite good at deceit, too, and another that couldn't lie if his life depended on it (guess which is the liar!). How do they learn it? Um, remember Genesis? Just keep training 'em up right, in God's Word, and waiting to laugh until you're out of the room!

heidiannie said...

I don't think they have to learn it- it just comes natural- and really he is just trying to keep you happy. You were unhappy when he disobeyed so he behaved - belatedly - but he got into bed! It's funny how children lie- sometimes it's to get out of trouble- and sometimes it is because they are trying to say/do what will please you.

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

They're BOYS! LOL. It's from Fred's side of the family because I'm sure none of you Schley girls every did anything ornery :-)

You are brave to put Christopher in a bunk bed. We did with Nolan but Nolan's a people pleaser and doesn't *often* disobey. Aaron on the other hand... he'll be 6 and still in his crib if we can get away with it. Actually, what I need for him is one of those bouncy houses with a baby gate... he'd bounce and sing all night long to his heart's content.

GramS said...

Ohio_momto3boys has the right idea about what you Schley girls were like. Hahhhaha. But remember when Dad put the tape recorder on the steps and later played it back for you? You weren't all that angelic all the time either. And we still love you all!

grampschley said...

Gramschley is right about you girls (3 older ones). you were talking and making noise, the first time I went up to check on you. You were all asleep. those steps were creaky told you that I was coming. The second time, I took the tape recorder with me. I checked on you and you all were still asleep. So I turned on the tape recorder on and went back downstairs. The third time I went up, you were still asleep. WELL, as I played back the tape, all of you "woke up" wondering what I was going to do with the tape. So much for being asleep, children have not changed much over the years. Kids, seeing how far they go without being caught. We still love you!!

Martha said...

You know what, grampschley? You've never been able to actually produce that tape that you claim you took, so I'm just wondering if it ever really existed or if you just used that to hold over our heads. :)

grampschley said...

The tape did exist, because I played it back to you girls and you heard it. You (girls) wanted me it erased and I said if you would go to sleep I would erase it. And I did. :D