Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Teacher Jason was THE Man! (or The Mom)

Wow! I loved team-teaching with Jason today! He was amazing with the kids! It was not an easy day, especially with those sixth graders, but I'm telling you, that teacher was amazing today! He marched right into the first class of the day - the fourth graders - and he took immediate command. He had those kids so under control that we both walked out of there in awe! It's amazing how smoothly things can go when you hand them over to the Lord, wouldn't you agree?

The sixth graders were a bit antsy and disrespectful, but you should have seen Jason! He hung in there, stood his ground, demanded respect and I think that he opened the eyes of some of those difficult students. It's not always easy teaching this age because these kids will slip into speaking Guarani and then neither Jason nor I can understand what they're up to. It's really not fair to the teacher, but once again, he marched right through those awkward moments and he did great!

Jason laughs about Karen's advice to him when he first started teaching. She told him that he needed to be the mom in the classroom so now we joke about how he's learning to be a mom. He's doing great at knowing when to discipline, when to be firm, when to be the one in charge, and when to be soft and give out hugs and smiles and laughs. I'm sure it sounds funny to the rest of you, but I love hearing Jason say that he feels like he's becoming a better mom! I can see that he's becoming a better teacher, that's for sure! The children love him and he loves explaining new concepts to them, interacting with them in Spanish, teaching them things like "y'all" (which I complained a bit about!) and he especially loves joking around with them and using word puns and language idioms. He's my kind of teacher and I was so proud of his ability to be The Mom today! I sure will miss teaching with him next week when we leave.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! It's so great to hear that my cousin's a "good Mom":)I had a feeling he would be... Thanks for this post.

GramS said...

It would be fun to listen to him and watch him in class. Keep up the good work, Jason, and be their teacher, friend, MOM or whatever it takes to share Jesus' love with them.