Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Last Day at School

Today is the last day of school here for the boys and for me. Fred finished his work this morning and Nancy is going in tomorrow for a few hours, but my work here is done.

(As a side note here, today I felt as if I was the most unpresentable that I've ever been as a professional! I was sweating like you wouldn't believe! My school uniform was drenched, especially under the arms and down my back. My hair was a total disaster thanks to the high humidity, rain, wind and lack of mirrors. The kids all gave me sweaty hugs which also turned my face into a slimy, dirty mess. I was so grossed out by my sweaty face that I went into the bathroom to splash water on my face in an attempt to clean up and cool down. Forgetting that there were no towels, I splashed my face with water out of desperation for relief. I glanced in my bag for a tissue or old napkin or something to dry my dripping face. Ahhh! A piece of cloth! I wiped my face in relief until I realized that I had grabbed Timothy's dirty and sweaty shirt and was now smearing that all over my face! Well, what can you do? My face was dry, and that's what I wanted. Getting out of the shower tonight was no relief, either. As soon as I turned off the water, I wanted to rinse myself off again because I was sweating so much! Ugh. Relief is supposed to be coming by Friday, but we'll be home by then!)

The boys had a fiesta in their class this afternoon in their honor. I was invited to come and the teachers and Jason gave a gift to the boys! The teachers had taken pictures of the class on the one "cool" day and Jason put it to music. It's absolutely adorable and it made Jazmine and Estrella (the teachers) and me cry. Jason asked Stephen if he made friends here and if he could talk to them. Stephen said that he made friends, but no, he couldn't talk with them.

My good-bys to the students today were a bit hurried and unfortunately, I wasn't able to hug each one, but that may be for the best anyway. I don't need to shed TOO many tears here before we leave! The teachers, on the other hand, were not so easy to say good-by to. I've been given so much by the teachers today: kisses, gifts, food, and many blessings. I struggled to convey my thanks and appreciation for everything. I know I botched up my words royally, but I hope my actions and my (spontaneous) tears told them the truth. Teachers and students of Adonai, I will miss you. You have been my extended family for the past month and I will miss you very much!

1 comment:

a.peg said...

What a wonderful experience for you and our family. God bless you all and may His travel mercies go with you! L Love you all.