Friday, March 13, 2009

Tigger

This morning Stephen said to me, "Mommy, Sam (his friend from school) is going to Disney World next week for March Break. He's staying for seven days." He told me a little bit more of Sam's upcoming adventures and then he looked at the clock and asked, "Do I have time to write Tigger a letter? I want to give it to Sam so he can give it to Tigger."

I wasn't really sure how to react to this. He never once asked to write a letter to Santa, but here he was asking if he could write a letter to Tigger! Since I could see how important this was to him, I got a sheet of paper, a pencil and an envelope. He asked me to write it because he wanted it "to be neat and spelled right." I asked him what he wanted to say and he said he didn't know, what did I think he should write? My suggestion of "Dear Tigger, I love you. Stephen" was too gushy, so he settled on "Dear Tigger, I think you are funny. Love, Stephen."

He proudly put the letter in the envelope, licked it shut and wrote TIGGER on the front. He carefully put it in his backpack on top of his lunch box so that he would remember to give it to Sam. When he got home today, he excitedly told me that he gave the letter to Sam and Sam promised him that he would deliver it himself to Tigger when he sees him next week in Disney World.

I can almost bet that every day this next week we'll be hearing him question whether or not Tigger got his letter from Sam yet. I know some of you parents wouldn't let your kid do something like that, but hey! He was so excited that his best friend was going to see Tigger next week FOR REAL and there really was no harm in letting him have a little bit of excitement over this. To be honest, I think I'LL be wondering if Sam gives the letter to Tigger next week! And wouldn't it be great if Tigger would write a letter back?! One can only hope!

7 comments:

heidiannie said...

We went to Disneyworld when Luke was 5 and bought an autograph book which he asked the characters to sign. Tigger signed along with Capt. Hook and Eeyore and many other characters. I don't know if Tigger would write a letter, but they do sign autograph books for little boys.:)
There is nothing wrong with liking a fictional character- certainly not in thinking he is funny!

LindaSue said...

nothing wrong with it! My Luke would do the same thing, even though he tells me Tigger is "not in this world." I love how he understands alot of his "friends" are "not in this world" but still enjoys "knowing" them! It's funny...Pooh, Tigger, etc., are not "in" this world, but he always says God and Jesus are not "of" this world and are waiting for us in heaven!

Anonymous said...

Better Tigger than Santa! At least he's more real. I love the excitement of kids with their "friends". I hope Sam gets to deliver the letter for Stephen (and you). Let us know what happens.

GramS said...

This so serious for Stephen.
I'm glad he had time to write.
I'm glad his friend would even take it. He might be just as excited to give it as Stephen was to write it.
Let us know what happens.

Karen said...

I hope Sam's mom cooperates and I hope Sam doesn't forget the letter!

liz said...

I love communication of any sort and love that Stephen wrote the letter! Good for him!

Paula said...

Anything to get them writing!