Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sausage Cake

Sausage Cake. Hmmmm. Does that sound appealing to you? Well, evidently it sounded more appealing to the boys than Egg Casserole which is what our meal was last night. Fred and I thought this casserole was pretty good, but the boys were doing their gagging-whining-refusing-to-eat routine because of it.

Since I had made a whole 9x13 pan of this Egg Casserole, I was NOT going to let it go to waste, so for lunch today, I cut it up in little squares, heated it ever-so-lightly in the microwave and put it on a plate in front of the boys. You would have thought that I was serving the most incredible meal in the world today! Christopher started bouncing in his chair screaming (yes, screaming) "Cake! I want CAKE!!!" I told him firmly that we had no cake and he needed to eat his lunch. The poor kid could hardly sit through each person's long-winded prayer because of who knows what!

After the last Amen, his arm shot across the table and grabbed the biggest piece of Egg Casserole that I had cut and said with such contentment, "Caaaake!" I was expecting it to come spewing out of his mouth when he realized that it wasn't a real cake, but no! He shoved it in and asked for more and more! The other boys started complaining that Christopher had the biggest piece and no one was saving any good ones for them, etc, etc.

I guess the key is to call Egg Casseroles Sausage Cake instead because two-thirds of our leftover casserole was devoured at noon ... all because it was cake today.

Here's the delicious recipe. Call it what you like. It's good either way!

Egg Casserole/Sausage Cake
6 slices of bread, cubed
1 lb. sausage
2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
9 eggs
2 c. milk
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Butter a 9x13 pan. Put bread on botom. Brown sausage or bacon and put on top of bread. Add cheese. Mix eggs, milk and Worcestershire sauce and pour over sausage. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until set and slightly brown.
We served ours with creamed spinach when it was a casserole and sliced beets when it was a cake.

10 comments:

GramS said...

That is funny. Maybe the carbs turned to sugar overnight??
But that also sounds like my kind of "cake".

liz said...

Hahaha! The name means so much... I remember making something with rice, ham, cheese and a zucchini equivilant in Argentina. It was good...until Karen said, "Wow, you would never eat Zucchini Casserole when Mom made it."

Anonymous said...

We eat egg casserole for dinner a lot. I have a recipe for a cheese strata that is out of this world! I'll have to give you that one for the summer. (It calls for fresh chives.) My girls LOVE it:)

heidiannie said...

I used to make this for Sunday school class all the time- one of my ladies loved sausage and every Sunday she would walk in and sniff and say, "Something smells really good!" She never made that comment about the carrot cake or the spice cake - I Should have called it Sausage cake!

Anonymous said...

Trying to get our kids to eat liver once, I found a recipe for liver patties...gring the liver, mix with onions, coat with bread crimbs and fry. We tried calling it ground beef burgers (it was beef liver!) No matter what we called it, it just wouldn't go down. They were glad when the recipe was lost in our fire. (I never tried to find it again, either)

liz said...

Aunt Peg, you made that more than once???

LindaSue said...

Mar, try a dash of Watkins Egg & Souffle seasoning in there...it added so much more to our egg casserole...which is already delish!

And yeah, Liz, she tried on many (unsuccessful) occasions to get us to eat liver....

Anonymous said...

I only did the liver patties 2 times! Then I gave up. They kept saying these patties taste just like liver and refused to eat them. What a bunch of spoiled kids I had!

Froudedude said...

Three words: pavkov family cookbook

I make up those sort of meals once a week, so far Jackson is not picky

And yes I am stalking you

Anonymous said...

I'm makeing your recipe for dinner tonight:)