Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Multiplying DVD's

Stephen asked for my help today when he wanted to watch It's The Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown from the library. He had the DVD player opened and was pushing button after button asking, "Which one do I push to find an empty spot?" Our old machine is a five disc CD/DVD changer and it's always confusing, even to me, which buttons do what.

So I went over to help Stephen, popped the DVD into the empty spot that came around, instinctively shut the door and I knew immediately that I had done something wrong! I could tell that there was already a disc in there and I just threw another one on top of it. The door was now stuck shut and the poor machine was whirring like crazy! I gathered quite an audience as I muttered aloud as to why boys were playing with this in the first place, and oh, was Daddy going to be upset when he came home to find out that we had ruined the DVD player with THREE library DVDs stuck inside, etc, etc, etc. I didn't realize that Stephen had slipped away while I was doing my not-so-encouraging muttering. I turned around and saw him curled up in a ball on the chair crying.

Of course my heart melted, so I quit messing around with a door that I couldn't open anyway on a machine that had just eaten three library videos and I went over and took Stephen into my arms. I tried to reassure him that we would need to confess to Daddy what we had done and ask him to help us. If Daddy couldn't fix it, then we would have to pay the consequences and buy new videos for the library. I had no idea if Daddy could fix it or not, but I knew he wasn't going to be happy when he heard what happened!

Well, Fred just unscrewed the 254 screws on the DVD box (ok, maybe not that many screws, but there were an awful lot!) and took the top off. He started questioning me on who had been shoving all the DVDs into the machine and why wasn't I watching the boys when they were playing with this and what in the world were they thinking?! I walked over and looked inside the five disc changer and saw NINE discs in there. Yes, that's what I said. NINE DISCS!! We started pulling them all out and I picked up two, obviously home-recorded ones that said Black Hawk Down #1 and Black Hawk Down #2. Well, I started questioning HIM on those! We were both standing there in disbelief as Fred said, "I've never seen those before in my life! I don't even know what that is!"

The only thing we can figure out is that when we bought this player at a yard sale four years ago, the previous owner must have "lost" their DVDs and figured the machine was junk so they sold it to us, dirt cheap! I'm thankful that my wonderful, technology-wise husband was able to open the machine and restore it back to health. It's not in the best of shape tonight. It's still moaning a bit, but at least it works and we have found all our lost DVDs, plus some!

5 comments:

heidiannie said...

This hit very close to home, Martha. And this is the reason why I am not fond of technology- when it breaks down it is always someone at fault- someone to blame and it is usually the boys and the mama that take the fall.
It is just a piece of machinery- it can't even count to five!
I'm glad you took notice and put your son first- I'm glad the machine is working again- and I'm glad Stephen had his mom comforting him.

liz said...

Black Hawk Down? Sonds like some war thing--pop some popcorn. Free date night?

We have watched our special little (expensive) toys crumble around us. If we can remind ourselves that technology usually promises more than it delivers, we'll be doing well....

Anonymous said...

WOW! A DVD player that multiplies what you put into it! Great news! Maybe you can program it to multiply some really good moral type DVDs or something better than what's usually on the market these days! You'd make a mint! Actually, I think most of us are a bit technologically challanged at times. (Or should I say, most of the time?) Glad you rescued Stephen and the DVD's in that order.

GramS said...

So, did you have time to watch the "Black Hawk Down" ones?

I hope the boys all got to watch the library ones before they were due back. What a trauma to get to them, though.

Give Stephen a hug from me, too. (and one for Timothy and Cristopher, also)

heidiannie said...

I've seen Black Hawk Down and it is really a traumatic war movie( think Angola!) Definitely not for small boy viewing!