Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Facebook

Facebook is funny. It's supposed to be a kid's thing; a teenager's hangout. Today I hit 150 friends, although just as I was typing this, another person asked to be my friend. That concept in itself is hilarious! My mom had to ask to be my friend when she joined Facebook! Who would have ever thought that their MOTHER would have to ASK to be friends with them, and in such a public manner! (Mom, of COURSE I'll be your friend!! :)

I got my first Facebook invitation almost two years ago from my nephew in Paraguay. I didn't know what it was that he was trying to get me to do, so I just ignored it. Then his brother asked me to join. I figured it was some Paraguayan thing, so I ignored it again. A few months later, Liz told me that she joined because she wanted to keep up with her kids. A few days later, Karen and I were on the phone together as she walked me through the process of signing up for this latest social network thingy (for lack of a better description).

So here I am on Facebook to keep up with my teen aged nephews and niece and out of 150 "friends", 20 of them are grandparents, 90 are parents and 136 of them are over the age of 25. So much for this being a teenage thing!

I'm finding the comments that go back and forth between the mothers and grandmothers the most humorous of all! Some of them are quite witty (Alrene!!), some are faithful commenters (Heidi and Cynthia), some are very into updating their status, even every hour at times (Sabina). Some post great pictures of their families, some comment on their kids' videos (Liz), some join every cause in the world that gets thrown their way.

I have enjoyed Facebook very much simply for the fact that it has brought me back into contact with so many people that I haven't seen in years and years! It has also helped me gain yet another method of instantly getting in touch with someone if I need to (as if we need more ways!). It has brought back memories, strengthened relationships because of the instantaneous and simple comments and connections that can be made and it has given me the opportunity to encourage people on a day to day basis, especially when prayer requests are made throughout the day. The downside: it has also wasted my time and I don't even look for hatchlings like some of you do!! I get sucked into going into someone's profile to look at family pictures or to read their notes or who knows what else and before I know it, I've spent way too much time on there. Facebook is fun, but if you're not careful, it's just like any other computer-related temptation out there. It can steal your time away before you know it!

There's another Facebook that I want to spend more time browsing: Jesus' Facebook. He's got a TON of friends and He asked me a long time ago if I would be His friend. Now that I'm His friend, though, I want to be sure to spend more time browsing HIS profile pages than anyone else's. I have a feeling that time would be much better spent (this is said with a very facetious tone of voice). Anyone else feel the same?

6 comments:

LindaSue said...

Yes, I definitely agree with you Mar :) And I spend too much time on there, too! But it's also great because I've "run into" friends I've not seen in 25 years and longer..friends from high school, that used to go to my old church growing up, friends I made when I lived in various parts of the country that I've often wondered how they are....

Funny; last night and tonight they featured facebook on our nightly news and said that the fastest growing number of users are in the 30-45 year old age bracket! Hm...don't want to "age" us...but the shoe fits!

GramS said...

OK, so I'd better get on the ball and get into it, too. I've got friends, people who've asked to be friends, and if I don't respond, they probably think I don't want to be a friend. I have to take the time to learn again how to do it.
Also have to take the time to spend on Jesus' facebook. That I do know how to do.

Paula said...

I was thinking how Facebook is a little like Heaven. You get to be in contact with people you haven't seen in ages. I love it too, but I'm afraid of the time drain. Unfortunately it's call is more alluring than many things.

liz said...

I love facebook. I don't feel it has been a real timewaster for me. (Well, maybe the hatchling thing, but I have lost interest in that and I really only looked for them when I didn't have enough time to fill a few minutes with a longer project--that's my rationalization!)

I have not connected with many old friends; I am friends mainly with people who are still in my life. As I said, I love it!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm too old to learn new stuff like face book. (even though I learned e-mail after I realized Gram did it at age 88 or 89) maybe there's hope for me yet.
For now, I'll let all you young ones enjoy it

Martha said...

Don't get me wrong! I love it, too! I just know that it can take up my time if I let it!

I just wonder, if the average age is 30-45, will teenagers ditch it for something else because too many "old" people are on it now? :)