Monday, June 30, 2008

School is Done, Lessons Never End

School is done for the year. (Can you find Stephen in the bus line? He's the second to last in line.)

There is now a bit of a lack of morning routine, which I miss terribly. We thrived on that routine and there was no fussing or procrastinating because we knew what needed to be done before heading out to the bus.

There are no more Home Connections Workbook sheets (our kindergarten terminology for homework) to finish. There are no handwriting practice sheets. There are no counting games to complete. No. School is done, but the lessons are not all yet learned.

Stephen brought home a Memories of Kindergarten book on the last day of school. I eagerly sat down to read it with him because it looked so cute! There were pictures of him on the first day of school, handwriting samples from the first week, pictures of activities throughout the year, and a writing section where they had to finish short sentences that were given. School was over for Stephen, but I guess he wanted to help teach me one last lesson. Can you read what it says on this page? "Sad is ... when my mom yells at me." Oh dear. What happened that day that he wrote this? Did I yell at him as we were walking out the door? Did I yell at him to get his snowsuit and boots on? Did I yell at him to quit bothering his brothers? What in the world did I say to him to made him remember it enough to draw a picture of me with my mouth wide open and write for everyone to read that I yelled at him?! Yep, school is done for the year, but my lessons will never end. Every day brings along a few more for me to learn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember, Grandpa's education didn't stop until he took his last breath! We all need to learn something new every day...at least one thing. Then we can pass it on to others. (Who might laugh that we just learned something they knew forever, but at least we learned!)

Anonymous said...

My sons loved to record music and they would sometimes turn it on when I didn't realize I was being recorded. I listened once to one of those recordings and I HATED the tone of my voice and the pitch and the volume didn't please me much either! I thought that if I had to hear that all the time I'd tune it out,too! Sometimes what we learn from our children hurts but hopefully we become better mothers and women because of it!
Good post, Martha!