Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm Thankful

Today as I was waiting for Timothy to come out of his surgery, a couple came in pushing a stroller. I thought they had a baby in there, until I heard the little boy start coughing. It was obvious that he had a tracheotomy when he started wheezing so badly. His dad gently lifted him out of his stroller and just held him, soothing him with his voice. It wasn't long before I realized that this little boy, just a bit younger than Stephen, had major health issues. He lay limp in his father's arms after gasping for air and struggling to clear his throat. The parents looked worn out and tired. Poor mom was showing her stress by lashing out in anger at the slow response of the medical team that was supposed to be helping them get some chest x-rays done. She was venting about how little help she was getting in being informed of what goes on with children with disabilities.

My heart went out to this family because I could see that they had been through so much with their little guy, and that's when I really started praying in that waiting room. My son was going through surgery, but it was routine, and he was healthy. Their son seemed to be fighting for his life. While sometimes I feel like a lone ranger in caring for my children, I DO have a support group that will help me (thanks to those of you who watched Stephen and Christopher for us today and for the meal for my family tonight!). I may feel as if things are overwhelming for me in my life, but these parents are struggling to survive in just about every aspect of their lives. I prayed for them. I prayed for my friend, Annette and her family that is affected by autism, I prayed for my friend who has such terrible, crippling arthritis, yet still cares for her two little children without complaints.

I am sooo thankful that God has blessed our children with good health and minds. Grandma always said that there was someone worse off than her, so why shouldn't she be thankful. I'm beginning to understand this more and more. I'm so thankful that even though my struggles may seem monumental in the moment, really, they are nothing more than what I can bear. God makes sure of that!

2 comments:

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

WOW! What an experience for that poor couple. How frustrating!

We'll pray for Timothy today. Poor little man... ouchy throats are no fun.

LindaSue said...

Mar, try also putting medicated ointment on the outside of his throat...that really does work on sore throats, soothing them. I've never had problems getting my kids to take Tylenol (in fact, if one gets some the other wants it, too!), so I've got no suggestions there!

Glad things went well for you all, and I hope the other family is doing okay, too. It's a hard thing for a Mama when her little ones aren't well!