Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kids and Noses

I guess it's true: what goes around, comes around. Think KIX cereal, Mom. Timothy came up to me all excited, "Mommy! Look! (Insert giggle fit here.) Mommy, look what I did! (More giggle fits.)" I looked over at him to see him proudly displaying two little green peas shoved up his nostrils and a huge grin on his face.

I immediately had flashbacks of a little girl sitting in the kitchen of the Akron Road house watching her mother run for the telephone to call Olga Z for advice. This little girl had impulsively shoved a KIX cereal piece up her nose ... and it got stuck! Aunt Janet had the brilliant idea of tipping the head back and dripping water into the nose to get the KIX softened and then having me ... uh ... the little girl blow it out. In retrospect, I think it would have been less traumatic if we would have just crushed the thing inside and then blown it out, but whatever. That's done and that little girl hasn't shoved KIX up her nose since.

But back to Timothy, I got a little panicky and started to plan how I was going to get those little green balls out of his nose. Thankfully, I just tried pressing the top of his nose and the pea popped out the bottom of one and Timothy managed to wiggle the other one out and we were fine. I admit that I was envisioning a trip to the emergency room where I would have to explain that my child shoved peas up his nose, but there was no need for that.

What goes around comes around. I wonder if Mom ever shoved anything up her nose as a kid and what my grandchild might do someday. No worries! We'll be prepared because of our experiences!

4 comments:

LindaSue said...

Mar, how funny! I think that's a common thing for kids, especially if told NOT to do that (although my kids haven't done it YET!). One of Tony's brother's put a bean up his nose, couldn't get it out, and didn't tell anyone until it came out with a sneeze quite a bit later...and sprouting! And a friend of mine in CA had surgery on her son's adnoids and it turns out the problem what he'd stuffed a bandaid up his nose years before...and no one had ever known!

GramS said...

Mar, I don't remember anything up MY nose, but I do remember Gram sitting by the living room window (more sunlight) picking a sprouting bean from Uncle Russ's nose as he was kicking and squirming away from her.I think I learned my lesson from that.

I'm glad Timothy's feeling better from his recent surgery to even think of peas rolling up his nose! Sounded like he didn't want anything to enter any part of his face there for awhile.

liz said...

My kids must have skipped trying this. But we all thought it was pretty funny!

Anonymous said...

once upon a time one of your uncles shoved a popcorn seed up his nose. Nobody was aware of it, except for the fact he sounded a bit funny when he talked. One day while playing he sneezed and out popped (no pun intended) a sprouted popcorn kernel. Of course I cracked up just thinking of a nose shooting out ears...of pop corn no less.