Thursday, October 8, 2009

Watkins Chicken Soup and Gravy Base

Well, you still have some time left to tell your favorite birthday present story on my post below! It's not my birthday yet! I thought that maybe while we're waiting for the day of the drawing, I would give you a little taste (Hahaha!) of the soup base so that you can anticipate your gift!

Watkins chicken soup (as well as the beef and cream soup bases) are gluten-free. They are also low in sodium with only 430mg per 1.5 teaspoon serving as opposed to over 700mg in many other soup bases. Watkins has no added MSG in any of their products, including the soups, so no need to worry about those nasty headaches and other symptoms that appear after consuming MSG! To top it all off, there are only 15 calories and ZERO grams of fat per 1.5 tsp serving (1 cup prepared)! We're heading into the cold season and a cup of instant Watkins Chicken Soup on those chilly days is fabulous!

Here are a few suggestions on how to use your chicken soup base (other than that cup of steamy broth):
  • Add a tablespoon of the soup base to your rice when cooking

  • Sprinkle soup base on a roasting chicken in the crock pot. Add a little Watkins Seasoning Salt, some Watkins Poultry Seasoning and a bit of sage and let it cook on low for several hours.

  • Use the soup base in place of any recipe that calls for chicken bouillon, chicken broth, or chicken flavoring.

  • Adding a spoonful of the soup base while boiling pasta gives a delightful flavor

To top off all these wondeful facts suggestions, my friend and I sat down one day to figure out just how much money we save when we use one of these cans of soup. Anita figured out that one can of Watkins Chicken Soup Base equals 15 one liter tetra boxes of chicken broth. Around here they are around $2.50 for one of those 1 liter boxes, so that means that you can save $37.50 by using one can of Watkins Chicken Soup Base! That's a significant savings! Now, I know most of you probably don't use those boxes of ready made chicken broth, but you have to admit that having that available is quite handy. Well, think of this: your recipe calls for one cup of chicken broth. You open one of those boxes, use one cup and then you have the rest of the box that you have to figure out something that will use the rest of it before the two week time that you are supposed to use it expires. Well, you forget about it and a few weeks (months?) later you find that opened box shoved in the back of the refrigerator and it doesn't smell so great anymore. You take it out and pitch it! Money down the drain! Watkins soup bases don't need to be refrigerated and you can always make ONLY the amount that you need for your recipe!

There you have it! If you don't win the birthday present of the soup mix, you can still get a can of it for yourself. This stuff is great and I always make sure I have some in stock because either I'm using it, or someone is calling me to replace their empty one! That's it for my Watkins spiel. Now you can just sit back and wait to see if you win! Good luck!

5 comments:

Peg Toth said...

I also use about a tsp. of the Watkins chick soup base when I cook carrots, I sprinkle it on veggies that I steam in the microwave, added it to the seasoning flour before fring chicken,(and pork chops) and the list goes on and on and on. Its uses are only limited by your imagination. LOL

GramS said...

This makes me even more want to win your prize. Put my name in 2times :)

heidiannie said...

I do use those boxes of broth ALL of the time. And I try hard to get them on sale and stock up- but they DO take up an inordinate amount of space in my pantry.
What is the value of this prize? Or how much is the base in case I don't win?!

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

yum! I want some too!

My fave birthday present? When Rich and I had been married 6 months, he actually bought me a car for my birthday. It was great BUT he then said, "for your next birthday, I hope you need a carseat for that car." The next year, it wasn't long after my birthday that we got prayed over at church to start a family and 5 months later, Ozzie arrived!

Anita said...

Well, one of my favourite birthdays was at Martha's!! I was picked up, blind folded and driven around (thinking it was some restaurant) and we ended up at Martha's. All my friends were there (leaving kids and husbands at home) and we have an evening of fun! Thanks Martha!