Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Birthday Present

My birthday is coming up, and along with birthdays, there are usually presents. I told you about winning the lavender wand on my Aunt Heidi's blog last week and I'm anticipating receiving it close to my birthday, so I'm going to get at least one present this year! Well, I'll probably also get a slew of handmade Monopoly games because that's the latest craze around here, and I'm hoping for a few hours alone with Fred, and maybe an hour or so over a cup of coffee with a friend, so I'm good for presents for my birthday this year.

But I was thinking that maybe this year, instead of having my gift expectations skewed as I highly doubt I will be getting a Wii Fit system which would be BEYOND wonderful as a gift since it's sooooo extremely unlikely to happen, I want to shift the focus on me GIVING a gift as opposed to RECEIVING one.

My inspiration for this was winning the lavender wand from Aunt Heidi on her Steps on the Journey blog. I was so thrilled to find out that I was the winner and I know that people love winning things. Sooooo..... I'm going to offer my own little birthday present giveaway here!

Here's the deal: you readers (including the lurkers) have until my birthday to either comment on my blog here (Anonymous comments count, but I'll have to know who you are if you want to win!) or send me a private e-mail at mjweinhardt at yahoo dot ca. If you know when my birthday actually is, you have an advantage of knowing how long you have to procrastinate in order to qualify for this gift. If you don't know when it is, then comment now. Hahaha. In your comment, you need to tell me about the best birthday present you ever received!

On my birthday, my family will randomly choose the name of one of you who participates. The winner will receive a 10 oz can of Watkins Chicken Soup and Gravy Base. This link is from the Canadian catalog, but if you are from the US, just click on the US Catalog tab at the top of the Watkins page. http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail.cfm?Product=21176&gCatalogLocale=CAN&ECredit=375794
The can that you receive will look slightly different than this, but the product is the same.
Feel free to let your friends who may also know me in on this giveaway. Just direct them to my blog and remind them to comment! This contest is open to everyone worldwide, but if you happen to live outside of North America, I can't promise you when you will receive it. If you live in Indonesia or Paraguay, you may need to come visit in order to pick it up (Hint, hint, dear siblings!), but we'll deal with that if you are the winner.

Good luck to all of you! I'm looking forward to hearing your stories of your favorite birthday presents!

6 comments:

heidiannie said...

How fun! I will comment! But then I usually comment, don't I? My best birthday gift, though? That's a really hard one. I guess it would have been my 50th birthday. Just having a 50th was a blessing, for me- I had convinced myself as a little girl that I would be fortunate to make it to the age of 50 and when I did I through a great big party and invited everyone I could think of and made LOTS of food and rented a pavilion at the park and asked Chad to sing for entertainment. I don't remember the gifts- just the fact of my friends and family celebrating life together.
It was definitely memorable.

heidiannie said...

I threw a party- How did I miss that! Sorry!

I'd love to win or buy some of those wonderful Watkins pepper sample packages you gave me last year! I'm out of them now and that was such great pepper to keep in my purse for those places (like the Post House) that have old overground pepper that has no flavor left!

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Happy Almost Birthday!!! I won't tell how old you (we) are... Our small children keep us young :-)

Katie

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha,
I often comment too, but will do so again. My best birthday gift came two years ago on my 50th birthday. My children had various family members and friends write letters or memories which Amy compiled into a beautiful memory album. I wept as I read them and was encouraged to see how many people cared for me. The two most meaningful entries were from one of my sisters and the one from Ben. He wrote 50 things he had learned from me; some serious, some very funny. Some were things I didn't remember I had ever taught. The whole album was/is wonderful and will probably always be my best birthday gift. Lilly

liz said...

My best birthday gift...this is hard, given that I am a person who LOVES gifts. But, I have a favorite, even though it is a little different. When I was in high school, I was driving to school one morning near my birthday. I was wearing my favorite purple sweatshirt, my hair had turned out well that day, I must've had a lower than average amount of pimples. I was feeling good. Then I saw the brightest, most brilliant rainbow I had ever seen. I pulled the car over to get out and drink in the sight. I realized the entire day was a gift--a birthday gift. In fact, I claimed that day as my "real" birthday for that year.

The gift has lasted because, even though I want to "esteem days" and hold a particular date sacred, I have benefitted greatly from accepting the blessing a very good day, no matter when it is. (I hope that all made sense!)

GramS said...

Happy early birthday, Martha.
I think I'll join the fun. I loved the Watkins soup I made this week, so I'll try again. (thought that plug might help me be the winner, hahah).
My best birthday gift is one I've been enjoying since 1951. Sounds like a long time, huh? It just gets better every year. Of course, when it came, it was a day before my b-day, and it was wrapped in a blanket, and cried, and messed diapers, and eventually laughed at our dumb stuff we did, but she (yes, she) has always made my birthdays fun. There were times when I'd call her just around midnight on her b-day just so we could talk through to my b-day, and we could both wish each other happy birthday on our days. She's so special. Although she's not living near me now (well, yes, maybe, compared to so many years she was in Argentia) she's still got that tender spot in my heart, and we still have a hearty laugh every time we call each other. I could go on and on, but she'd probably get embarrassed to read any more. She's talented (got it from all her older sibs) and smart (got that from older sibs, too), is a good cook (tips from Mom), etc. etc. I'll continue to treasure this gift for the rest of my life.