Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Volunteering

Today I got to volunteer in Stephen's French Immersion classroom. Wow. I wish I could be a fly on that wall every single day! I learned more French today than I've ever learned in my life! As I was sitting at the back table stapling little French books, I had to think about Liliana in Paraguay. While Nancy and I were teaching English to the first graders, Liliana was sitting in the back marking her students' work and trying to be inconspicuous while she repeated all the words we taught the kids! That's what I was doing today! I almost shouted out loud when I knew the word for "mouth" before any of the kids did!

I also found it interesting to watch Stephen in action at school among his peers. He was so much more gentle and calm than he is at home, and responsible, too! As the Capitan of his group, he had to get and put away all their supplies, make sure the desks were straightened, etc. He did so good... AND WITHOUT BEING TOLD A MILLION TIMES! I felt like I was watching a stranger. I did notice, though, that I heard his name mentioned a lot by Madame because during their circle time he liked to pester those near him. THAT was not a surprise to me!

Being back in the classroom today ALMOST made me want to run home and see what I would need to do to get my certification up to date here in Canada. ALMOST, I said. While I would love to be back in the classroom again, first grade is way too young for me, so that was a deterrent today. Plus, I went home with a pounding headache and was reminded that having three little children constantly asking me questions and hovering in my personal space was enough just now, let alone twenty of them! They had just come in from recess, and boy, could you smell! I mean, boy could you tell!

Yeah. I miss teaching. No question about that, but I believe that God wants me here at home for my kids at this time and He's letting me have the joy of volunteering in my kids' classrooms where I can still participate, but not be 100% responsible. I had a great day at school today and would love to go back!

5 comments:

GramS said...

Volunteering is a great way to peek in on what your kids are doing in school. If Stephen does so well as Captain, maybe you could have a chart for each boy to be Captain at home, with some reward at the end of the week.
I was tryng to encourage one of your old friends into checking online for some classes to go on and get her teaching degree. Maybe you should check into that, and do one at a time for now. By the time Christopher is in school, you'd be ready to get back into teaching. Go for it!

Karen said...

sounds great!

heidiannie said...

I volunteered in the classroom the whole time my kids were in elementary school and worked within teen related organizations through middle and high school. It is a great way to know what is going on and have your voice heard in public schools.
And a great way to share your faith with those closely connected with your children.
I'm glad you are involving yourself in this way, Martha, you can really make a difference.

liz said...

I'm a little jealous of you learning French!

Also, I've felt for a while that home is the place that our kids can go to fall apart a little. It's tough to be upstanding and good all the time in public and it's nice to know how well they do it. Then when they come home and it all disintegrates (within reason, of course) they can work it all through and go face everyone else the next day. Good for Stephen--he's an awesome kid!

a/peg said...

Mar, you are the BEST teacher your boys can have at home! Just keep reinforcing what good behavior they have in school. I voluneered for years so I knew what was being taught and my kids reaction to it. Many lessons. Also was able to speak up to the principal about a song that wasn't appropriate for ANY age group that the kids had in music class. It was pulled from both elementary and middle school music classes (A song from MASH called "Suicide is painless" Just happened the principals best friend's daughter committed suicide that weekend so he quickly pulled the song and contacted the other principal as well. And, I was the only parent that complained.
Also volunteering is fun...no take ome responsibilities!