Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Day(s) of School

Stephen started school on September 8. He was quite excited to be moving on up because he was going to be in first grade after all! He was looking forward to going to the big kid playground at school and being able to go every single day instead of only Tuesdays and Thursdays, like Timothy. That excitement lasted about one day! By the beginning of the next week, the excuses started: "Mommy, whenever I think, I don't feel very good. I can't go to school today."
I can tell that this is going to be a rough year for us in the mornings. Our bus driver not only likes to be prompt, but she likes to be EARLY!!! The first day we made it with only a minute to spare. Several other mornings so far we've made it just in time as well. I hope this isn't going to be a pattern.Two days later, Timothy had his first day of Senior Kindergarten. He was a pro at getting ready in the mornings and was up and dressed for his "very busy day" (as he prayed the night before) long before anyone else was stirring! It's nice to still have him home on Mondays and Wednesdays because he and Christopher keep each other company and play very well together. I can tell they miss Stephen because they have their bored moments, too, but life sure picks up again as soon as that bus comes in the afternoons!This year Timothy doesn't look as tiny as he did last year when he got on that big yellow bus! I think, though, that I got more choked up over Stephen this year than I did the past few years! He's my firstborn and even though he is definitely the live wire around here, I was sure that I would miss him because he would be gone every day! And I do. But I also appreciate the decline in sibling rivalry for a few hours a day as well!

4 comments:

heidiannie said...

Itwas really hard for me to send my children off the school. I hated the approach of fall, because I was bored all day without them! They liked school just fine- it was ME that was depressed and out of kilter!

Good pictures, Martha! They really are getting bigger-I don't think I've seen them since Christmas and they have really grown!

GramS said...

Nice pictures, nice story.
I'm glad Timothy is still with Christopher part of the time. It might just ease him into no playmates at home next year, all day, every day.
Those "first days" are the bumps parents have to go over on the highway of life! The road just keeps going on and on. You'll have more bumps along the way, but it does go more smooth after you get over the first couple bumps.

a.peg said...

It was always hard for me to send my kids off to school. But the choking up really came when my oldest was accepted for early college admission at KSU branch, and then again when my BABY got his driver's license! (I guess I realized how old I was getting)e pictures

liz said...

Can you believe we FORGOT to take pictures the first day of school this year? That made me cry! Those are some nice-looking boys you have!