Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ottawa

Last weekend we went to Ottawa to spend a few days with Fred's brother, Friedemann. What a great weekend! Besides being bitterly cold outside, we had a wonderful time with Uncle "Freeman" and are ready to go back for a another visit ... but I think we'll wait until it's summer!
Uncle Friedemann has a very lovable dog. Luna was definitely the center of attention as the boys were all over her. Luna was also a very hungry dog, we found out. Poor Timothy was sitting at lunch on Saturday flinging around his fork with a chicken nugget attached, telling some animated story when mid-sentence he stopped and yelled, "LUNA! That's MY chicken nugget!" Luna also enjoyed our muffins and our Valentine's cookies that she got into while we were sleeping. Tsk. Tsk. That dog!
On Saturday morning we went to the Museum of Nature. They had a fascinating dinosaur exhibit and Daddy couldn't resist this photo op. Below, here are our little monkeys sitting in the monkey nest in the special chimpanzee exhibit.
Saturday night we hit the streets of Ottawa for some Winterlude fun! The ice sculptures were amazing, and of course, after some time on the frozen Rideau Canal, we had to stop for a Beavertail and some hot chocolate. If you've never had a Beavertail, you're missing a part of Canada! It's just a fried yeast dough sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or maple syrup or whatever. We couldn't pass up this opportunity! On Sunday afternoon, we headed out into the frigid weather to the Snowflake Kingdom part of Winterlude in Gatineau, Quebec. (I really felt like I should have taken out our passports to get stamped as we entered this "country". Everything was in FRENCH!!) This was the kids' park full of snow and ice activities like this fabulous slide! Those folks came down right behind us. All six of us sat at the top of the hill, linked arms and off we went down the icy slide! If there wouldn't have been a 45 minute wait to get back in line, we would have done it over and over again!
The Snowflake Kingdom also had the snow sculpture displays. Despite the fact that just four days earlier it was warm and rainy here, the snow sculptures were covered to prevent damage and the weather turned cold again, saving all those hours and hours of hard work!

And this is one little overtired five-year-old boy who said he just couldn't walk any more ... until Uncle Friedmann suggested we stop at the McDonald's Play Place on the way home. Hmmmm.
And that's our whirlwind weekend in a nutshell!

6 comments:

GramS said...

I am so glad you got to go again. It was such a fun (COLD) weekend when we went with you BK(before kids). Sometimes I get the pictures out and just look at them again. It was such a wonderful experience. It certainly wasn't a warm beach to vacation on, but such a different form of vacation entertainment. I love the heart picture you have here. And I love the memories you brought back to mind. I'm glad the boys--big and little--had fun with you!

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

How FUN!!! I love those pictures, especially the dinosaur eating Fred. Too cute.

liz said...

Let us know when this is next year. I would LOVE to go (I can dream, right?). I want to go down that ice chute!

Also, I want Friedemann's kitchen.

Martha said...

Liz, the first three weeks of February are set aside for Winterlude every year. It's soooo much fun, especially when the weather is tolerable enough to go skating on the canal! Wow! It's better than skating on our lake! :)

I want Friedemann's kitchen, too! You can't even see half of it in this shot. He designs and installs high end kitchens, so he's got the best set up ever! Even has his own coffee/espresso machine in the wall. Press the size of cup you want and viola! COFFEE!!

Anonymous said...

My hands were frozen just looing at the cold snow! Nice pictures. Sure looked like a lot of fun, but I'm sure the warm beches would be just as much fun for me...must be getting old!

Paula said...

How fun! I want to go down that ice shute! I love the heart picture of the two of you and the kitchen! Although I must admit that my imagination is heading to Tahiti and not Ottawa.