Thursday, February 26, 2009

February 27


February 27 is my sister Karen's birthday. Last year was her super-important 40th birthday. Just because this year is only 41 that doesn't mean that she's not any more important, but since I wrote such a serious post for her last year, this year I'm going to keep it a bit more humorous.


Here are some thoughts in honor of Karen on her birthday:

* She worked at a doctor's office in high school and came home smelling like band-aids every night.

* She was the only one in the family to back a car onto the cables holding up a telephone pole and manage to get the car stuck.

* She and I used to confuse Angela when we'd switch days without telling her. Poor Angela never knew the difference and would still speak to us as if we were the other.

* Karen had a dream of being a surgical artist (Is that what it was called, Karen?).

* Fill in the blank: Karen Gail ________ Tale. (I know that was mean as kids. Why did we ever do that?! We just needed a rhyme!)

* Sometimes I think she would freak people out with her eye on purpose.

* That girl could really scratch and dig her nails into your arm. (How would I know that?!)

* After she moved to Argentina, she insisted that she would never marry anyone who wasn't an American. Hmmmm. Glad she changed her mind!

* Also after she moved to Argentina, she used the wrong word for "hot" to describe how she felt with the temperature. Instead she told all the young people that she was HOT! (Maybe that's how she got that non-American man's attention!)
* One time she fell through a hole in a barn floor all the way down onto the cobblestones below. As we were all wondering how we were going to get out of this trouble, she came running up from below and wanted to keep playing!

* Karen is very real and very fun to be with! You know you can be yourself with her and always go away feeling very refreshed!


I love you, Karen! I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow and that your family lets you sleep in!


6 comments:

heidiannie said...

Every birthday is super important- not just the ones that end in Zero, or Zed, for Canadian speakers. What I like most about Karen is that she speaks the truth in love and now that she thinks in Spanish - sometimes it comes out in an unexpected idiom
Happy Birthday, Karen.

liz said...

Happy birthday Karen!

Nice post, Mar. Karen falling through the hole still freaks me out (and makes me laugh) 30-some years later.

Karen said...

Well...the nails thingy...that usually happened AFTER I had holes in my arm from someone else (not to mention any names here), but thankfully...we grew up and don't do that anymore. Ouch! That would really hurt!

LindaSue said...

okay, but how many of you backed the car into the cables and DIDN'T get it stuck?

and there was a VERY GOOD REASON Karen had that nick-name....and it wasn't just cuz it rhymed!

And you forgot, even though she wanted to keep playing after falling thru the hole, she was also sobbing as she told us (although, thankfully, that was one time she DIDN'T live up to her nickname...even though our parents still found out!)!

Great memories and laughs, Mar.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KAREN!!!

Anonymous said...

My O My, Mar, what memories you stirred up with your birthday tribute to Karen! It's almost like it all happened yesterday. Are you trying to tell us older generation YOU are all getting ol, too? And I remember Eliz. Marie, Oct. 3, Martha Jean, Oct. 18, Roger Curt, Oct. Squirt, LindaSue Winney the pooh, etc. You guys sure made our early motherhood years memorable!

GramS said...

This was so good!
I'm sorry I'm a day late for your birthday, Karen, but heard you had guests over last PM, so we didn't call.

Hope it was a really special one for you, even if it doesn't end in 0.

Yes, I certainly remember those "olden days" and the daring things you guys seemed to get into. I'm thankful for angels watching over you, too, then and now!