Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanks on the Weekend

As a final "thanks" post for November, I need to say that I am thankful for God's grace. This weekend at church we heard six testimonies of six different people with six different personal paths that God took them down, but all with the same beginning and ending. The youngest one just turned 15 two days earlier and the oldest was 91. Each one of the six grew up in a Christian home where they were taught from the Bible and whose parents prayed for them faithfully, yet each one also did their own thing, wandered away from God (some more than others), but all came to the conclusion that God's grace and forgiveness was what they needed in their lives. Although all the testimonies were very touching to hear, I think I was impacted the most by the 91 year old man who told us that all through his childhood, his parents taught him the Words of Life, but he never applied them to his life. Even though he left his parents and any connection with any church, he said that he could never get out of his head the prayer of blessing that his father prayed on his deathbed for his son. Ivan said that the only thing he could remember from that prayer was that his father asked God to keep the words that Ivan had been taught in his heart so that he would see his need for a Savior. For SEVENTY years Ivan remembered that prayer, but did nothing about it. It wasn't until he was around 90 years old that he decided that he'd better find a church that would be willing to bury him some day. Through this decision of his, he started attending our church and speaking with some of the other Serbian speaking members of the church and "found out" (as he put it) that God didn't think he was too old to accept him! Amazing! We witnessed his baptism the next day, as he stood next the 15 year old, and rejoiced that God's grace was still available to him after all these years!

I'm also thankful for the sweet little teenage girl who babysat for us this weekend because she not only played with the boys, but she cleaned up my house, too!!! I was almost dreading coming home because I know how the boys can be with a babysitter, but I was shocked and impressed and thrilled beyond words when I walked in the door! You can be sure that I'll be asking for her services again ... the only problem is that she lives an hour away and is only in town on special occassions like the baptism weekend we had at church. Bummer. She's GOOD!!!!

4 comments:

Karen said...

can you send your babysitter down here?
I had one set up for Friday. We were going to go with Ben and Vivi to his graduation and I took Edson To Rosa's house and she wasn't there. I called and texted her but she didn't answer. We waited for about 10 min. and Rosa didn't come. I took Edson and was outside the whole time! It kind of ruined my night "0ff". Rosa called at 10;00pm and said that she totally forgot and went somewhere else!!!

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

I'm feeling your pain on the babysitter thing, too. Our favorites live in Dundee, in Holmes County, about 45 minutes at least away. These girls are GOOD and the boys LOVE them. It's a treat for all of us when one or both can come to sit for us. I know exactly what you mean with coming home... sometimes it's more work to return from a 'break' than it is to just stay home!

Rich's nieces are watching the boys for 20 hours on the 13th. We are just going to North Canton for the night but I don't care. I just want a few hours OFF. LOL.

GramS said...

A good babysitter is so important and nice to have.
Mrs. G. loved it when she got home and saw that I had washed the dishes after the kids were in bed. She'd always say "you didn't have to do them". The house always looked neater when they were done. Wow, all that for $.50 an hour, too.hahhhaha

Anonymous said...

You'll have to let me know who the sitter was. You said she was in Cambridge, right?

We're praying for you and your family.