Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Changes

I don't do well with change. I like predictability. Stability. Security. Change rarely sits well with me. Back in September I experienced a weekend that was so full of change I could hardly bear it.

The first change came on Saturday afternoon when we stopped at Grandpa's house on our way home from the Wayne County Fair. Driving into Grandpa and Grandma's driveway always had a touch of anticipation that came along with it because you could almost count on Grandma being in the kitchen and Grandpa was either sitting at the table looking out the window at you, toothpick in mouth, or else he would holler to you from his garage or the garden if he were outside. This time driving into the driveway didn't have that anticipation at all, but almost a fearful dread. After picking blueberries in Grandpa's patch without him, I wandered through his barn, his garage, and the empty, empty, empty house. I could hardly stand being in there because it was soooo very empty. It was change, and it just wasn't right. I almost half expected him to walk out of the bottom part of the barn and call me in to see his racks of onions drying, but when I walked in there, it was empty. No Grandpa. No onions. Just empty shelves and drying racks. I had a hard time driving away from that house because I knew I would never go back in there again.

Sunday morning was the second change that tore me apart emotionally. We went to East Akron that morning and saw this sign. I knew it would be there. I was expecting it, but when I saw it in person, I knew the morning would be a rough one for me. The East Akron Apostolic Christian Church at 844 East Archwood Avenue was up for sale. This is the church that I grew up in from my birth.
I played Red Light, Green Light and Mother May I on this sidewalk and these stairs. I mowed this lawn and shoveled these walks.
I was taught in this Sunday School room and I also taught in this Sunday School room. I ate many lunches and family night suppers in here. I just hung out with my friends writing on the chalkboards in this room.
I also spent a lot of time in this room as a little girl, reading "One towel is all you need" on the paper towel dispenser and wondering who's mother had that printed on there. We would be fascinated by that little dial on the water meter that would spin around like crazy when we flushed the toilets, never realizing that we were wasting water as we entertained ourselves. Shhhh. Don't tell Mom and Dad this, but we also kept ourselves entertained by wadding up sopping wet pieces of toilet paper and throwing them up so that they would stick on the ceiling. Sometimes they'd fall down on the old ladies that would innocently walk in on our fun.
This is the sanctuary where many, many memories originated in this building, from Sunday School Christmas programs to rushing to sit next to Aunt Irene during afternoons (because she would pull out her Halls cough drops, already unwrapped and placed in a kleenex for us) to the unthinkable teenage game of Truth or Dare. There is the precious memory of me giving my testimony to the church and then being baptized behind those heavy, red velvet drapes. There are memories of weddings and Big Sings and Girls Group practices and baptisms and Arthur and Ben and Paul and John and a host of other ministers. Yes, there were some sad and troubling times in here as well, but my memories right now want to linger on the good.
Good-by, East Akron. You are now sold to another group of people who want to make this their house of worship. You have been a building that brought the Light to a dark world. God has blessed your walls and the souls that came and left from this place. Each person has their own set of memories from within your doors; some good, some bad. But I know that for 57 years, children of God have been able to worship Him in a building that had been dedicated for this purpose. I will probably never walk through your doors again, but the real Church, to which East Akron belonged, can never be sold! One day I will be able to worship my God in a Place that far surpasses what East Akron has offered me, and I know that this is one change that I am looking forward to! When I enter Heaven, that change will be worth all the struggles of earthly change that I've ever experienced. Good-by, East Akron. I will never forget you.



8 comments:

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Where did this congregation go? Did you merge with another group?
I wonder who bought the church; it is a beautiful building. I'm sure it will continue to bless hundreds of people!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mar. What a tear jerker of memories. You have wonderful pictures of E. Akron. We also have many memories of there. And I cannot even express my feelings about Gramp and Gram's (my childhood) home. I will keep the memories forever, and of the last few times we were at G & G's with our grandkids and how they picked blueberries, blackberries, peaches, pears and then explored the empty house, bassement,barn, garages, etc. looking for little treasures to remember great gram and gramp. They found little things we were going to toss out, but they saw them as treasures. All along I would tell them stories about G & Gram. Will share with you sometime. Thanks for the blog.

GramS said...

Good way to make me teary-eyed, Mar. I love the way you put your memories down. It was so personal, so lived, so loved.
Great pictures of it, too. Thanks.
As for the wet paper on the ceilings?????? What!!! Just a week ago I'd heard about teen girls wetting something else and slinging them to the ceilings and walls to see if they'd stick. Now we have to check the RR every day we're there with our Latchkey group. It sure must not be a new "game".
Ohio_Momto3boys, we just kind of dwindled down to sooo few, (moved away, passed away) that it would be too costly to keep it going. Mar sure wrote some good memories, though.

liz said...

The good thing about change is when it happens in us. I am who I am because of Grandma and Grandpa (and many others!) and lots of change happened in East Akron church and our home in Easton. The changes stay with us and allow US to be the light and the example and the one people are happy to see!

Thanks for posting this. I especially like the pictures!

heidiannie said...

Warn a person if you are going to post pictures that take them into the past! I didn't realize East Akron was only 57 years old! It was built only 3 years before I was born- I thought it was an old church in an old neighbourhood with a lot of old people attending it.

We used to throw wet paper wads up onto the ceiling- but I'm pretty sure I never taught you or your sisters that trick!

You do better with change than you think,Martha- growth is change and you are in the midst of that growth every day!

liz said...

Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't throw wet paper towels on the ceiling.

AJS said...

I also have many memories made here, not so much of the structure of the building, but of the many faces that graced this building, some still here, but many gone on to their eternal reward. Thanks for the great post!

Unknown said...

I always wondered what those "wads" were when I cleaned that room.
Thanks for the reminder list of the fun memories!