Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Programs

Sunday night was our Sunday School Christmas program at church. Boy, were those kids fantastic! This is a picture of the Tiny Tot Choir on Saturday at their practice. Zippy B. was practicing her solo. To the left of her, Stephen is practicing his stone face. To her right, Evan and Braden are more interested in my camera than Zippy's singing. On the far left we see Silas wondering if she'll do ok and Thaddeus, in the red shirt, seems to be singing his own song. Next to him, Max must have thought someone behind him was singing the solo. Theo, Silas' brother, is also wondering if Zippy will do ok. Or maybe he's just playing with his loose tooth. Who knows. As disorganized as this picture looks, the children did an absolutely marvelous job with their program. I wish that I could have had a video clip to post so that I could share Stephen's enthusiasm with you all. He bellowed from the bottom of his heart, and thankfully on key, for the entire program, drowning out most of the other kids! While part of me was praying that he would tone it down just a bit, I was also thrilled to see that he had no reservations while he was singing "Come and Praise the Lord Our King, Alleluia" and "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "O Come All Ye Faithful." What a moment as a mother to be watching him sing with his whole being!

The only glitch in the program was when Victoria and Ashley T. were playing their flute and violin duet and the breeze in the sanctuary blew their music right off the stand! Those troopers kept right on going even after several attempts by others to get that music back up there!



The boys' school program was last week. For some reason my camera wasn't working too well and this is the least blurry shot that I have. Timothy is the only one with no Santa hat on. He was so pleased with himself standing up there singing away! He kept looking out at us and smiling and giving us a wave every once in awhile.

Watching my kids in their Christmas programs made me think about all the programs I had been in as a child. I have such specific memories from a few of them that it amazes me that I can still remember them. What do you remember about your Christmas programs as a child?

4 comments:

heidiannie said...

I remember the memorizing and the sea of faces that were so blurry until I finally spotted my mother's face. My dad always looked so happy that his children were up there- and my mom looked like we were going to screw up royally at any moment!

GramS said...

We always got a nickle if we could say our poem without mistakes. Maybe it ended up a dime. Maybe it was Mom's way to bribe us to even go up there in front of everyone!??
Don't remember the church ones, but I DO remember the poem from first grade about crickets while the whole class behind me was clicking little clickers to sound like crickets!! That was a BIG audience.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember getting "bribes" for saying my poem...maybe it was because Carole was more shy than I was. I do remember during an Easter program when a group of us (8 girl cousins and aunts) were to sing "the Old Rugged Cross" and one of us (not me this time) started to giggle. We all broke into gales of laughter, and totally freaked out our parents, especially when the ministers asked us to please sit down and control our laughter. We were never asked to do a special number together again. Wonder why?
(I still have problems singing special numbers before a group)

liz said...

Aunt Peg, I remember the same thing happening with my sisters and cousin in front of the Warren church!