Sunday, March 2, 2008

There's Still Time!

Yesterday we attended the funeral of a dear brother in the Lord, John. John was an incredible man, and listening to his dear friend speak about him at the end of the service made me realize that he was more incredible than most of us knew! John suffered tremendously the past seven years as the result of a spinal cord injury which left him paralyzed from the chest down. Since we are friends with his daughter, we were often asked to pray for him during this time in regards to his health issues and his emotional struggles. John used to be a farmer and loved the labor that he put into his work. He was doing what he loved to do when he was injured in his farming accident; he was paralyzed, but his friends did not survive. I'm sure there had to have been many moments in the past few years that John wished he would have died instead of those men. I can only imagine ....

But yesterday at the funeral, his dear friend Bob said in his gifted evangalistic way that John is now walking on the streets of gold! John had been bound to his wheelchair in this life, but now he has a new body and is walking again! That comment alone touched many of us listening, but his next comments, directed at the children and grandchildren who do not know the Lord yet, pounded us with the truth! This life is over for John, but not for us! There is still time to accept the Lord so that one day we can see John walking, even running, on those streets of gold! Bob begged those who are not yet children of God to accept His love and become part of His family so that they could see the lame walk again! There is still time! There is still time!!


Written for the eternal home going of our beloved Brother John Mohan, with joy, that his suffering is over and great sadness on behalf of all who knew and loved him. He was a shining example of a faithful believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. Robert W. Freund Feb 27, 2008

Last Night, I Fell Asleep-----

Last night before I feel asleep, as many other nights before,
You tucked me, said goodnight and quietly walked out the door.

Like other quite moments when I would view my life.
I thanked the Lord for all of you, my children and dear wife.

How blest I was to share a love that few on earth could know,
It came from God through all of you who served me here below.

A comfort overwhelmed my soul that warmed me to the core,
My prayers rose up to heaven's throne, I could not want for one thing more.

Then slumber overtook my thoughts and suddenly I'm swept away,
I thought I must be dreaming on this heavenly, glorious day.

To my surprise and pure delight, I'm walking down a golden street,
With vigor and a youthful strength that gave new life to both my feet.

My chair is nowhere to be found, I will not need it anymore,
Because I am not dreaming, I have passed through Heaven's door.

I feel no pain or weakness, and have no need of help at all.
My burdens have been lifted, only good times I recall.

The Lord knew it was time for me to join the saints above,
Though I had no time to say goodbye, I thank you for your love.

Remember that I loved you and you meant the world to me,
I'm trusting we will meet again to spend a long eternity.

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God had prepared for them that love him." 1 Cor 2:9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Martha for all the comfort you have given me this past week.

Anonymous said...

Mar, thanks for sharing this with us since we were unable to attend his funeral. He was a very special person and has a very special family. You can see and feel God's love radiating from all of them in their smiles and peaceful appearance! Thanks again.