Saturday, March 8, 2008

Stephen's Announcement to the Neighborhood

I need to teach Stephen some social mores. This morning while I was outside shoveling the first wave of snow, Stephen and Daddy were having a race to see who could get dressed the fastest. Daddy didn't even know he was participating, but the whole neighborhood soon found out!

I was at the end of the driveway when Stephen peeked his head out the door and shouted, "Mommy, Daddy's still in the shower! I'm winning!" This shrill, childish voice bounced and echoed up and down the street, crisp and clear with nothing to stop it's sound as it skated over the soft covering of snow. A moment or two later I heard, "Daddy's STILL in the shower, so I'm still winning!" Not long after that I heard, just as shrill, crisp and clear, "Daddy has his underwear on now and it's even pulled up!"

The good thing is that this was announced to the neighborhood at 8:00 on a Saturday morning in the middle of a winter storm. There were not many people outside at that hour and the windows were tightly closed so that this little voice was not carried inside for all to hear as well! We will still need to go over what is appropriate to shout to the neighborhood and what is best kept at home.

By the way, Stephen won the race.

7 comments:

LindaSue said...

Mar, at least your son didn't pull his pants down in the library like mine did yesterday...because "when I went potty, I pulled up my pants but my underwear stayed down, so I had to pull my pants down to get my underwear up." I'm just glad his father was with him when he decided to show off the family jewels to a library filled with dozens of people...and not me.

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Good that Fred wears his undies up like a big guy! Glad the whole neighborhood knows, too!
Your boys crack me up (as if I had anything left to crack after my OWN boys get done...).

Anonymous said...

What is this world coming to? One kid undresses in the library (certainly don't know where he got those genes) Another kid (blood relative of the first one) Announces the private life of his father to the neighborhood. WOW! And to think I even had one who went potty in Pymatuning Lake on 4th of July, after removing his swimmming suit! Then told me all about it! Yeah, someone capatured it on film, too.
Take heart, Mar, Maybe Stephen will grow up to be some kind of a sports announcer. They make some big bucks!

liz said...

So funny. It makes me a little sad to think of everything we've edited out of our kids (and ourselves) in just a few years. But then I remember the announcement about how big my butt is to the completely full women's restroom at the airport a few years ago and I'm not so sad anymore.

Anonymous said...

like I said, must be in the genes! Had a sibling that went swimming in Long Lake (a long time ago) who did the potty thing also without a swim suit. AND a child that chose to ride a tricycle down the middle of the street toward the main post office when we lived in the city (65,000+ pop.) without a stitch of clothes on!
Granted, it was a lot warmer outside that it is today! And I am sure the list goes on and on and on!
Liz...was that before or after the South Beach diet? Could be a good advertisement of the SBD.

liz said...

It was before but it was in direct comparison to her "little tiny" 3-year-old butt.

LindaSue said...

my kids tell me I have a cute butt. I think they hear it from their daddy....