Friday, March 21, 2008

Same Old Story

You know how kids love to hear the same old story over and over and over again??? They love to have you read the stories so many times that even though they're only three years old, they have the book memorized? Or how they (the 18 month olds) get so excited they can hardly contain themselves when they see you pull their favorite Thomas the Tank Engine book off the shelf? Or how they ask you to tell them the same stories of what they were like when they were a "kid" (this is being asked by a four year old)?

Well, this past week, I caught myself behaving like my kids! I was driving and listening to the radio when I heard the radio hostess read the scripture of the women running from the tomb shouting that it was empty and Jesus had risen. I caught myself getting so excited and reciting the verses along with her, hardly being able to contain myself because I knew how the "story" was going to end! Each time I hear these verses of Jesus' death and resurrection, I spiral back into my memory of a teenager in the choir at East Akron when we sang an Easter Cantata one year. The songs were almost verbatim from the Bible and now when I read them or hear them being read, I can't help but sing those songs in my mind. I'm sure having all those verses put to music helped me to remember them, but I also know that I absolutely LOVE to hear that same old story again and again and again. And I get just as excited as the boys when they hear their favorite story being told!

2 comments:

liz said...

I'm with you. In the sermon last week as our pastor was telling why the crowd was correct in calling "Hosanna" to Jesus, I started getting fidgety in the pew and my heart even started racing a little as He explained Jesus' deity. I imagined myself jumping up and shouting, "Hosanna!". Then I mentally calmed myself back down and shouted it in my spirit.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the song, Tell me the old, old story" a favorite song, and story. It never gets old!