Friday, March 21, 2008

Professor and Christopher

We used to have a dog named Professor when we were kids. I'm not sure why he was ever named Professor because he was pretty dumb!

Christopher reminds me a lot of Professor, but certainly not because he's dumb! Let me explain.

Professor was a very touchy-feely dog. He was always laying on you or leaning on you or climbing on you, if you let him. Christopher is the same, but instead of calling him touchy-feely, I like to refer to him as snuggly!

I recognized the similarities the other day when I was in the kitchen trying to get supper finished and Christopher squeezed himself between me and the kitchen sink. He started leaning on my legs and putting his full weight on me. I was sooo tempted to do what I used to do to Professor. Professor was so dumb that when he was leaning against your legs, if you moved, he would literally fall over! For some reason when Christopher was leaning on me I was reminded of Professor and for a brief moment I wanted to see if he would react the same way Professor did. Don't worry. I didn't let my baby fall over ... he's not that dumb anyway!

(Side story here about Professor: One time when Karen came back from Argentina for a visit, she made us some of her authentic cornbread that she had learned how to make. For some reason, that batch didn't taste too good to some of us, I think it was all the salt that those South Americans use, and we didn't eat all that she had made. She left the next day to spend a few days with some cousins, so after she left, we buried the leftovers in the garbage pit we had at the back of our property. (Sorry, Kar.) It was a nice summer day, so I decided I was going to go out, lay on my towel and enjoy the warm sunshine in the yard. Professor wanted to join me, and those of you that know me, know that I am not particularly fond of dogs, and I kept trying to shoo this animal away from me. He insisted, though, and ended up laying beside me with his head nestled on my stomach. Before too long, the silly thing started to gag and choke and before I could jump up, he had barfed all over my stomach!! I was so grossed out when I realized that somehow that dumb dog had found that cornbread that we buried, ate it, and then heaved it all over me!!!! GROSS!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, that's a memory I can not forget. I did learn my lesson that it's not worth the effort to try to lay out in the sun anymore. You never know what could happen when you are trying to be vain. Haha.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Pamer always said, "They're not dumb, they're just little!" As for the dog barfing Karen's corn bread all over you reminds me of the story Grandpa used to tell about his brother's new bride years ago. Seems as if she wanted to impress her husband with her culinary skills and made some yeast dough. For some reason, the dough didn't come out like she thought it should so she buried it in the garden. Spring came, the ground warmed up and you guessed it. The dough "arose" from the ground, thanks to the yeast! Her husband was facinated seeing this mound of dirt getting bigger and bigger until he tried to work the ground to get rid of the weeds. His hoe struck the dough which was a gooey, sticky mess. Of course Gramp and his brothers had a field day with their teasing! You just never know what's going to arise someday.
As for being vain, I think you were just trying to soak up some of the original Vit. D...found in sunlight!

liz said...

I know I have huge lapses in my memeory, but why do I not remember a dog named Professor?

Martha said...

Maybe we weren't kids when we had Professor. Maybe you were already married and gone when we got him. Karen was already in Argentina, so maybe you were out of the house already, too! Rog, Di, Mom, Dad, do you guys remember him? Dianne wanted him as an indoor dog. Thankfully the foot was put down on that one!

Sorry to disappoint you a.peg, but I was definitely trying to be vain. I thought I could get a tan for some reason. Yeah, right!

LindaSue said...

I cannot believe how much my kids are like yours...must be related! Even at 4, Luke still squeezes between me and wherever I'm standing, full weight leaning on me. If I stand behind him, he does the same. And when Sus sees me with one of her favorite things, excitement cannot be contained! Wish we lived closer....

liz said...

I asked Mom and Dad about Professor. (They were here for Aunt Sue's funeral.) I think I was home. They remembered a bunch of dogs that I had forgotten. But I remembered Buff and Mom forgot about him, so I guess some parts of my brain still work.

GramS said...

Wasn't Professor the one we got from Paul and Donna? That black, curly-haired one? I do remember having a Professor. After going over all our dog names today with Liz, I did get them back into my memory, only I don't know what order they were in. Quarter, Barkey, Coal, Professor, Buff, and that little squatty one that we had a week (in the house) before the owner wanted it back. Is that it?
So...who is the grandson who is like Barkey (not talking much)? is one like Coal, very wise to how he's tied up and gets out all the time, adventurous, daring, loving? Or like Quarter, very active, not costing much? Just remember, most of our dogs are burried back of the barn someplace because they HAD to go see what's on the road. Keep your kids safe!