Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympics 2010

I've been enjoying watching the Olympics with the boys this year. Last Friday, Stephen really, really wanted to watch the Opening Ceremonies, so we let the boys stay up until all the athletes had entered the stadium. I was touched by the interest that they had in each of the countries as they walked in. The boys were comparing the numbers of athletes, asking where each country was in the world, asking what the different events were that some of the athletes had posted under their pictures. But the most touching moments were when the boys were asking questions about Canada. I realized then that I was the only American in the room, and yet this was all about my children's country! They were so focused on the displays by the First Nations and wanted to know what everything meant. It made me realize that I do need to brush up on my Canadian history a bit, because I could only give them basic information at times.

This past weekend, together we've watched long track speed skating, mogul freestyle skiing, snowboarding, short track speed skating, pairs figure skating and tonight, Canada vs. Norway hockey! I had to laugh at the boys because after every event that they watched, they then moved around the house mimicking the motions of those athletes. They'd go sliding along the kitchen floor, flapping their arms like the speed skaters, they'd go jumping down the stairs like they were jumping moguls and then would have to do a fancy jump at the end...without falling, of course. The funniest, though, was the other night after they watched the pairs figure skating, Timothy and Stephen were spinning around the room holding on to each other and then I heard Timothy say, "Stephen, pick me up and spin me!" Of course, as Mom's wisdom was always shared with us, it was all fun and games until someone got hurt. Timothy tried to pick up Stephen to spin him, but it didn't work and they both came crashing to the ground and blamed the other one for the error.

Tonight, "Uncle" Rick came over to watch the Canada vs. Norway hockey game with us. I'm sure that he wanted to watch the game, but instead, he was bombarded with, "What's that mean?!" "Why is there a broken stick on the ice?" "What do those numbers mean?" "What happened?!" "Did they score?" "How come they've played so long and there's no goal yet?" I appreciate Uncle Rick's endurance with all of the questioning tonight as he explained things like power plays and icing to us, all while putting up so patiently with some goofy boys who were so excited to have him here that they couldn't calm down all evening. Stephen wanted to stay up and watch the end of the game so badly, but he finally agreed to go to bed as long as I promised to tell him if Canada scored any more goals. I'm happy that I can tell him that yes, WE did score more goals - a total of 8 - 0 to be exact!

This year's Olympics are going to be very different for me. I have to know which athletes are Canadian and I have to root for the Canadian athletes this year. I have to keep tabs on the medal count for the Canadians. I have to cheer every time a Canadian does well. I have to acknowledge every Canadian flag that is shown. I'm not saying that I don't want to cheer for the Canadians, but I am saying that I'm feeling a little traitor-ish and I'm just not used to ignoring those American flags and American athletes. The reality this year, though, is that my kids don't really care about the Americans. They only care about the Canadians. It's so sad. (I'm saying this with a bit of facitiousness in my written inflection.)

Because the Olympics are in Canada this year, and because my Canadian children are learning what it means to have patriotism for their country, I will cheer for the Canadians. I will get excited when I see the Canadian flags, and I will enjoy the excitement of the Games with my family, no matter who wins each event. The Olympics have always fascinated me and I'm glad that my kids are enjoying it, too.

Go Canada ....... and GO USA!!!!

7 comments:

heidiannie said...

Yes, I agree, you need to support the Canadian teams.
But- I just can't respond to Canada's national anthem like I can to the USA- " Oh Canada" may be touching to Canadians- but for some unacknowledged patriotismic glitch- I always cry when I hear " Oh say can you see...".
I don't even LIKE the Olympics and only watch the news blurbs of the medal ceremonies- and I still get caught in tears by the American anthem.

Anonymous said...

Do teach your kids to love and support their country, but explain to them too your loyalty to your country of birth. That too will be good for them to see and learn. Lilly

LindaSue said...

always support Canada, but make sure you instill a love for USA in the boys, too. I have in-laws like you -- American mom, Canadian dad (who works for a division of the UN) and he is VERY anti-American is very vocal about it. Thing is, if I remember my civics correctly, even though they were born in Canada, they also are US citizens because YOU are....so foster that love for their "other" country to, but realize Canada is #1 for them (boo-hoo!)

a.peg said...

I agree with Linda...they are both Canadian and US citizens. That's awesome. You can also teach them that Canada and the US are "best buddies" and two great countries can get along together if they want.
(Did it really take you all these years to support the Canadians? lo)
Patriotism is always a good thing to learn in a free country. We all have much to be thankful for.

GramS said...

I think Canada has lots of good winter athletes, so if no US athlete gets a medal, I root for Canada, our neighbor! We love you Northerners, too.

Karen said...

Hey we scream for any Paraguayan Goals in the World Cup! I also know/sing their national anthem!

Pauser said...

I love the Olympics. It's incredible to see the energy and determination they put forth and it's not only to win a medal but to challenge their personal best.

As God's child, it makes me want to challenge myself and do the best I can for His glory.