Friday, February 19, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

There is never a dull moment in this house! And if there is...that's when I need to worry!

You know, I've repeated Mom and Grandma's (and probably every other adult in this world) advice to the boys many, many times: Don't run with scissors in your hands! The problem is, I don't think that I've ever actually told the boys not to run with a newly sharpened pencil in their hands either.

This afternoon, Timothy was running through the kitchen to the front hall where he was going to write a note of some sort for their game. Unfortunately, he rounded the corner from the living room and his socks slipped on the floor (maybe because I had washed it for a change?!) and he came crashing down. I watched it all happen in slow motion, and then was horrified when I realized that he had been holding his newly sharpened pencil in his hand! We caught each other's eyes and I ran over to him as he started to scream. The pencil had gone right into his face! It caught him just between his cheek and his chin, a bit below his mouth. He didn't want to let me look at it for awhile, but when he finally took his hand away, I was thankful to see that it looked like just a puncture wound. The pencil tip was still on his pencil, and there was red blood coming from the tiny hole where it had stabbed him.

I convinced him to let me wipe it first with an antibacterial wipe and then put some polysporin on it to kill anything that might have gotten in there when it hit him. I can't see any pieces of the lead, so I'm praying that it is not as bad as it could have been. This was all happening moments before the little girl we babysit was to go home and a business associate of Fred's was supposed to arrive for supper.

Tonight he went to bed with some Petro Carbo ointment and a band aid on his face. He was so proud of that thing that he asked if he could wear it to school, too. The poor boy doesn't go back to school until next Tuesday, but he's bound and determined to keep that band aid (that "looks just like my own skin, Mommy") on his face until he can show his friends at school.

I don't know why I ever thought that I would enjoy being a nurse when I was younger. I can't stand things like this. I have no idea if I did the right thing, or if I should have done something more, or what I should look for tomorrow morning. My stomach churns thinking about that pencil puncturing his skin and sinking deep into the tissues in his face. Blech! That's why I'm praying hard tonight that if there is any graphite residue in that hole, that God would make sure that it squirms its way out so that I don't have to deal with it tomorrow. I'm also praying that there will be no infection and that it will heal quickly. It's ONLY a teeny tiny little hole, but I still don't like stuff like this.

I wonder what adventure tomorrow will bring ....

5 comments:

heidiannie said...

I would call this more of a misadventure!
Puncture wounds can be difficult because they keep the blood from effectually cleansing the area.
Has he had a tetanus shot?

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha, just read your story and can totally relate to your feelings with accidents like this. One of our more scary ones was when Naomi poked the inside of her throat with something like a plastic knitting needle! The problem there was, that we could not do ANYTHING while the blood kept spraying from her throat into her mouth like a constant thin fountain. Add the fear of swelling and choking her! But she was fine and it stopped bleeding after a while, thank God.

Anonymous said...

... sorry, that was Irina (last post)... I guess you can't edit a post on blogger :-(

GramS said...

He'll live, (I hope) I have one of those graphite punctures still showing on my rt. thumb and one just below my left knee.
I'm just glad it was a tiny bit of skin and not an eye!

GramS said...

OK, here's another PS to the blogger comment...I remember it happening when I was pretty close to 2nd grade.