Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Silence

I thought I'd better touch base here and explain the silence of the past two weeks before you all start to worry. You should all know by now that when there is silence on this end, it just means that things are busy ... or else there are computer problems. This time it was a little of both. My sweet, computer-driven husband installed some type of anti-virus on this old laptop that would cause everything to snag and hang and eventually crash. It has become quite frustrating, so we finally just took it off. Now it's just old-age that is slowing things down. Old-age of the computer, that is! I'm still a spring chicken, you know!

Things HAVE been busy around here, too. The Cookie Kitchen is in operation just about every day. I'm so thankful that we have orders to fill, that I don't want to complain, but seriously, I think it was much, much easier to do this volume of cookies when the boys were younger and didn't care what I was doing in the kitchen! Now they want to help EVERY time they hear my mixer going or the trays banging on the counters. Christopher runs in to see what I'm doing, and in that time, Timothy has already run to wash his hands, pull up his stool and is yanking a Home Depot apron over his head. They want to help sooo badly, but I lose time, cookie dough and patience when they want to help. I was in a hurry the other day to get some shortbread cutouts made and they insisted on having some dough for themselves. I gave it to them, but I was constantly barking at them to quit coughing, sneezing and spitting at the counter! I finally threatened them that if they kept it up, I'd make them roll their cookies out on the floor! One look at the expressions on their faces and I realized I had made an inappropriate threat! I took that one back awfully quick! When they help me, they have their own dough, their own rolling pins, their own cookie cutters, their own trays and their own half of the island. They love their responsibilities so much that I can't take it away from them, but I usually have to end up doing a second batch to make up for the loss after they are in bed. THAT is why I have no time to blog!

I was hoping to get some pictures downloaded, too, to show you what I was up to last weekend, but being technically ignorant, I don't have those downloaded yet. I was at the Christkindel Market downtown Kitchener, working in the Belgian Waffle Wagon! What a load of fun! I think I have lost all feeling in my fingers and toes as a result of the cold (our booth was outside), but it was great! I was exhausted and behind in all my work around here, but as always, God provides for us in the best ways! I made more money in those two and a half days than I have made in ages! AND I got to get out of the house and work with adults!! Despite the cold and the exhaustion, it really was loads of fun and if I have the opportunity to do it again, I will jump at the chance!

So that's some of the silence explained. The rest has to deal with the issues we're still having with the business and the bank. It's far from over. The stress is still great and the waters are getting murkier (is that a word?), but I pray for wisdom for Fred ALL THE TIME! He's got some tough decisions to make and he needs the Lord's wisdom for sure! We don't know how this nightmare will end, but we do know that God loves us and has proven Himself faithful over and over again! He's dealt with much bigger issues than this in the past, so this is nothing for Him!

I'll try to be a little more conscious about posting, but I can't promise anything. Until Christmas, those cookies are taking priority! Can you smell them? I have about 95 of Ingrid's Jam Prints waiting for me to deal with them. I'd better go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what was going on. I can only imagine all the interruptions with your little cookie helpers. May the Lord give you the patience you need one moment at a time! Love, Lilly

heidiannie said...

Martha,
I lied that life for a very long time when I was making hundreds of cut-outs for the Bake Shop when My boys were young. Luke says he still can't eat a cut out because he feels guilty eating the stock!
It is difficult to keep boys and cookies into separate compartments, but you are also baking up dozens of memories. I used to get friends and family members to take my kids for seasonal activities through the worst of the baking crunch. It helps to build in opportunities for fun- I remember decorating hands with Royal icing and buying extra favorite candies to be left over from the gingerbread decorating. Tell them how great it is that they are making cookies for the family to share.
As for the murky part- just keep walking by faith, one step at a time, knowing that just because you can't see ahead doesn't mean the Lord hasn't cleared the path!
My prayers are with you.
Love,
Heidi

GramS said...

You make it sound so much like fun...doing cookies on the floor? Wow. Oh, yea, you retracted that one. But they just might remember that it was once suggested.
How'd you get that Criskindel Market job? That sounds like so much fun, to be such a part of the festive weekend.
We're praying that the bankers have a heart to understanding what is going on, and not just cold-heartedly wanting their way.
Hang in there. God's got some great things to show you through this all.

liz said...

I want to order some cookies for you to bring down, but I can't find your flier. Is it online somewhere?

We are praying for you all.

a.peg said...

Mar, it's "technically challenged" not ignorant.
I can taste your yummy cookies already. Enjoy all those little hands. The memories will last them a lifetime.
You continue to be in our prayers. Keep looking up, and God will do the rest. Love you all,