Monday, December 14, 2009

The Sunday School Christmas Program

Well, it's over. The Sunday School Christmas program is over for this year. I'm happy and sad at the same time. This is my last year as the coordinator (I kind of hope) and even though it was extremely stressful this year, I will still miss being with all the children every Sunday, morning and evening. It's not like I won't ever see them again since I'm scheduled to teach again in two weeks, but it will only be with my 3rd and 4th graders instead of the 3 year olds up through the 12 year olds.

The highlights for me from this year's program:
* The tiny tots' poem, "Wise Men Travelled From Afar". It had hand motions and the kids really got into this little piece (Christopher LOVED it!! Ask him to do it for you, and he'll readily oblige!).
* The excitement in "Go Tell it on the Mountain" from the Tiny Tots and the Primary Choirs (ages 3-8 combined).
* The amazing handbell choir that accompanied the Junior Choir on several pieces. The sounds just resonated throughout the sanctuary and brought tears to my eyes.
* Simon's solo. THIS was my ultimate highlight. "The Lord Never Closes His Eyes." This young man beat the odds last night as he had a major headache and was so worked up before the program that he couldn't even walk in with his choir, but sat in the foyer on a chair sobbing because he wanted to sing so badly, but couldn't. I was distracted by other details, so once he went into the restroom to calm down, I moved on to the next "issue". Before I knew what was happening, I looked up and saw Simon standing in front of the microphone at the front of the church and singing with such a beautiful voice, a piece that had me truly in tears standing in the back of the sanctuary. That young man blew me away with his voice and the words of his song, and with the emotion that he put into it despite his overwhelming nervousness. Well done, Simon! God was honored by your gift last night!
* The cooperation of the directors of the choirs, the pianists, the handbell choir, the guitarist, the helpers, etc, etc, etc. It could not have been done without the help of everyone.

Still, I'm thankful that it's over now. One less stress that I have to deal with here. The Lord's name was lifted high last night and many parents, grandparents, neighbors and other family members watched and listened as their children told them the story of the birth of Jesus, some hearing it for the first time. And that was the point of the whole evening.

7 comments:

LindaSue said...

ours is Sunday and BOY oh BOY do we need prayers! "My" kids (1st-6th) did horrid on their dress rehearsal Saturday but better in practice on Sunday. Luke is Joseph in the Tiny Tot group, and Susanna is a star. We're praying that God is glorified, the kids are all healthy, and the weather doesn't delay it...three times...(or even once) like last year!

GramS said...

That sounds like alot of stress on your part, Mar, with all your cookie baking, running a household, and trying to keep everyone all around happy. I'm glad the program was a success, and over. Did you have a lot of neighbors come?

Karen said...

haha, I just posted about ours! I only did some christmas songs with the kids, but yes, I am glad that is over...now onto weddings, and weddings, and weddings!

heidiannie said...

No pictures?
Thank you for sharing the beauty and sacrifice of Simon's ordeal. That is quite touching.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there. It all sounds wonderful; except for the stressful parts that I wouldn't have realized as part of the audience. Are there any videos available? Glad you have that behind you. God bless. Lilly

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Sounds so FUN!
Ours is the 20th; all 3 boys singing... well supposed to sing anyhow.

Jenny R said...

It was a WONDERFUL program!!:) What a blessing!:) Thank the Lord and you for all of your effort.