Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ahhh... I Can Breathe Again

VBS is over. The final program was tonight and it was wonderful! The kids did a fantastic job singing their songs for us tonight and it was a great reminder of why we put so much work into a week like this past one.

Ok. MOST of the kids did a fantastic job. For some reason, MY kid (who shall remain nameless) decided to be a complete GOOF up there in front of everyone! I'm still not sure what he was doing, or what he was thinking, but there is no reason a six-year-old kid (see, I'm not saying names) should be sticking out his tongue and sitting down on the stairs and rolling his eyes and laughing at nothing in front of the congregation during a program. I'm into creative correction at the moment, so when he came and smashed in between Auntie Jo and myself after his choir was done, I told him that since he acted like a two-year-old in front of everyone, I'd have to treat him like a two-year-old when it came time for our snacks in the back room. Daddy made him sit at a table while DADDY chose the snacks for Ste ... I mean, our son, to eat. He wasn't happy about that, but hey. He doesn't need to make a fool out of himself for nothing up there! I am hoping he got the point.

Yesterday was our VBS picnic. Blech!!! The activities and the fellowship were great, but the temperatures were sheer torture! Nancy and I were kidding that we felt like we were back in Paraguay! I was dripping from every pore in my body! Stephen, poor kid, was sweating soooo badly that his hair was just plastered to his head. I'm thankful that he at least had his cast off now (yeah!!!) and he wouldn't be sweating in that thing. It smelled bad enough all ready and it sure didn't need more stench because of a sweaty arm. Those kids had the time of their lives playing games, climbing on the playground, kicking the soccer ball and swinging at the pinata, but wow! Was it ever HOT and muggy!

Our busy VBS week is over, but now we move on to the next busyness. BEANS! I'm picking beans tomorrow morning and am hoping to get quite a bit done for the winter. Once the beans are done, I'm hoping to be able to pick our peas that ended up coming up despite being nibbled down to the stem by a hefty rabbit when they first came up.

And of course, since school is only a few weeks away, we have to get LOTS of play time in, so we've got a lot planned for the next few weeks as well. Life is always full, isn't it? Thank you, God, for giving us full lives that remind us of YOU!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Since you left in may it has been very cool here...Yesterday it was hot and muggy. I LOVED IT! My summertime is back!

GramS said...

Climbing each summer plateau just takes you closer to the next one, and the next, and the next, until summer is over and school starts again. And when you look back at when Spring left off, you've gone so far in so little time......
Harvest soon will be past and so will the hot days. (^_^)

Pauser said...

I loved the VBS Program this year. The kids did such a great job! Don't worry...I didn't see your 6 year old do anything.

The weather sure was muggy...it would've been so nice to have a pool or even better a beach close by.

a.peg said...

You could have saved you more play time if you didn't plant peas. (Obviously, not MY favorite veggie).
I'm doing beans, peppers, and corn this week. Maybe tomatoes, too. God is good! He gave us the health and the ability to do all this...at once, it seems like. Enjoy the last few days of your boys vacation.

a.peg said...

BTW, one of my boys who will remain nameless, also, at age 6 put on quite a show with the primary choir at church camp. tugging, pulling papers with his buddy, pushing, shoving, etc. A real christian example of a preacher's kid! Punishment: no $ for snacks that afternoon. Instead, a nice long nap. Mean mom, of course!

liz said...

Yeah, summer got hot just when the kids had to stand outside from 9 AM-2 PM for band camp every day...