Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Paid to Give My Opinion!

I did something soooo fun today! I was part of a focus group for a local research company and I got paid for sitting around a table with six other women talking about cleaning products! I am not allowed to disclose the company or any of the proposed ideas from the company, but basically, there is a company that produces a "green" product line of house cleaners and we had to give our opinion on the labeling, the shape of the package, the advertising, etc, etc. It was fascinating and very interesting to hear the other women's points of view.

One thing that came out of several of us women was that some of the packages were just too "busy" with the labeling. It turns out that most of us were moms of young children and the comments that came out were that we appreciate labels that are simple and basic and not crowded with too much information. We don't have time to stop and browse and read the fine print on cleaning products or anything else for that matter! When we're in a store, usually we have mere seconds to glance at the packaging and we make our decision on what we see in those brief seconds. Here I thought that I was the only one who had that problem, but I guess not!

At the end of our hour, we were all given a bottle of this cleaner to take home PLUS a nice cash payment for our time and opinions. While I don't really need this cleaner since I love my Watkins stuff, I don't mind a free bottle of cleaner! And the money sure was an incentive as well!

I sure hope they call me again! As one other mom in the elevator on the way down said, "What a fun evening out! AND we got a free bottle of cleaner! AND we got paid for it!" Yep. I think I like getting paid to give my opinion!

7 comments:

LindaSue said...

how fun for you! I used to be in several of these when I was in SoCal. Fun to sit around in a group discussing labeling, appearance, basic product, advertising, stuff like that then pick up $40-50 on the way out! Now you should have Fred take you out to dinner tomorrow to spend your "hard earned" money!

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

FUN!!! That sounds like a great time away from the kiddos... and goodies (and $) to boot!

Paula said...

How fun! How can i join? Although the drive probably wouldn't be worth it.

liz said...

I am also willing to accept money for my opinions. You can ask me about anything at all!

heidiannie said...

I've done a couple of these. I guess when you're as opinionated as we are someone should put all that attitude to use!

Martha said...

Can you believe Fred got called today for TWO of those focus groups, but he was eliminated immediately because 1. HE DOESN'T DRINK COFFEE!!!! and 2. He doesn't repair his own vehicle (why should he if his brother can do it?). Oh well. At least we're both on the list!

You make me laugh, Liz!

Anonymous said...

I hope they gave you more than 2 cents for your opinion. Most people won't give that amount for all your opinions and experiences. Sounds like fun!