Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cherries From the Farmer's Market

We went to the Farmer's Market in St Jacobs on Thursday. My new sister-in-law, Jo, wanted to go to a place that sold fresh produce. I took her to the best of the best! Aunt Heidi and Allyson, if you want a fabulous new farmer's market to experience, come on up and I'll take you to St. Jacobs! http://www.stjacobs.com/html/shopping-farmersmarkets.html The nice thing about the market in St. Jacobs is that there are two wonderful markets to choose from. The St Jacobs market is quite commercialized compared to the Waterloo Market across the street. The Waterloo Market is full of many old order Mennonites that pull their buggies up to the building and sell their wares out of the back. Both have tantilizing produce and meat and cheese stands, flea market style vendors, etc. On a busy summer Saturday, both are packed with shoppers, but oh, so worth the time there! It is THE place to go if you are looking for a farmer's market! (Sorry, Mom. D-town's doesn't even come close in comparison!)

So Thursday Jo and I went crazy buying local produce: peaches, tomatoes, corn, beets, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries (that said Product of USA), and cherries! The cherries were the hit! We couldn't wait to pop those lucious things in our mouths! One problem: the boys expected me to pit each and every one that they ate! They didn't know how to eat a cherry!

I wish I could have taken a video of Timothy to share. He wanted to learn sooo badly how to eat a cherry by himself so he picked one up by the stem and said, "Now what do I do, Mommy?" I told him to put it in his mouth and bite down, but be careful of the seed. Now chew carefully until you feel the hard seed. Suck off the fruit. Now spit the seed out. "How do I spit it, Mommy? How?! Like this? Did I do it right?" He got all excited with the success of that first one that he went nuts-o eating handfuls after that! Yes, you all may be laughing at this, but how would YOU try to explain to a three year old how to eat a cherry?!

Our five pound basket of cherries is almost finished. Now that the boys have learned how to eat cherries themselves, this is the fruit of choice for every snack this week. I'm not complaining there! I love them, too. Especially when they are so big and sweet and juicy! Mmmmmm! Cherries anyone, before they disappear?

9 comments:

LindaSue said...

oh, Martha. The best of the best? Hm...you REALLY have to try our market! (Granted, it's a FARM market and not a FARMER'S market, but OURS is the best of the best!!!). www.redwagonfarm.net

And we have lots of cherries, too. Bing and Rainier.....

Anonymous said...

You know Martha, that you have challenged every loyal
Farm Market fan to defend the integrity of their LOCAL market!
But, I will let your statement stand- because I believe you have found the best in your area (although i have to agree with you about Doylestown's market! Especially since one of the guys "in charge" was selling a book called Copley Boy!)
I liked your cherry eating tutorial- amazing what kids can accomplish when they are hungry!

Actually, one of my favorite markets is in Toronto- have you ever been to the Kensington Market?
Great place to visit!

Anonymous said...

I agree with LindaSue! They have a GREAT market...but no "flea" part. How does your market compare to Hartville? That is awesome! Regarding the cherries: Wait until the boys learn to spit the seeds at each other! Gramp. always told us that George Washington could spit a cherry seed across the Potomic River by Mount Vernon. (I believed him until I visited MV and saw how wide the Potomic is at that point. Now I have my doubts.)

Martha said...

I'm thinking now that maybe I shouldn't have taught him how to spit. Last night after he climbed into his top bunk he asked me to bring him a bottle of water and a pail. When I asked him what he needed that for when he was supposed to be going to sleep, he told me he NEEDED it because he wanted to spit. :)

Anonymous said...

What can you say! He's ALL boy. Wait until he learns how to make gross noises with his armpits in school! Enjoy the boys. They grow up too fast! (PS At least he wanted to spit in a pail!

GramS said...

I do hope you saved some "Farmers' Market time" for us this Saturday! I look forward to it any weekend we can make it. No, the Hartville market doesn't compare to this one!! It's HUGE! hartville doesn't have as many samples, either.

We found a produce stand at Marshallville Packing, and when he looked at me, told me I was a Pavkov, and he lives at the end of our street! How's that for a personal touch at a farmers' market?

I'd love to visit Red Wagon sometime, too.

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

My boys LOVE the spitting part. I can't get them to spit toothpaste but they'll spit cherry pits. Go figure

Katie

Karen said...

Nothing beats MERCADO CUATRO! THAT is a whole city of a market. Remember?

Martha said...

UGH!!! Mercado Quatro! Yes, you have us beat, Karen. There is NO market like Mercado Quatro! THANK GOODNESS! Blech. Gag. But oh, so fascinating! Thanks for the memories.