Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Guilt of Scrapbooking

I apologize in advance to all of you who are avid scrapbookers, but I do believe that all scrapbooks are good for is to create guilt in those of us who are not artistic, not creative, and not scrappers ourselves! I've heard that some people actually ENJOY creating scrapbooks of their kids, their vacations, their whatevers, but for me, all scrapbooks do is create GUILT!

Guilt? Why guilt? Because I have a ton of empty scrapbooks, tons of high quality supplies to create my memories, photos galore, and NO desire to do anything with them! I have a nice Creative Memories album of our wedding that I created back in the day when I was a newbie to this town and had nothing else to fill my time with. I also have a scrapbook of the annual Christmas pictures that come every year from our friends and family (although I'm behind a few years now). I even have Stephen's baby album started. I think I have two pages done. I have blank albums for the other boys, but they are still nicely wrapped in their original plastic, untouched.

Oh, I enjoy looking at other people's scrapbooks, especially the ones that are done with such beautiful simplicity that you can't help but oooo and ahhhh over them, but you know, I don't know who I was trying to kid. Scrapbooking just isn't for me and I need to quit feeling guilty because I'm about 8 years behind in my scrapbooking!

I don't scrapbook ... but I blog! I release this self-imposed guilt from not scrapping!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No guilt about hobbies is good Martha I do a little scrapping- but instead of doing it up to date- I tell stories and then I'm done. So I have a book about Gramma's last July 4th party,of a trip to England, and one of Hawaii. Also one of all my gingerbread houses. But I have all kinds of pictures in boxes that I shuffle through when I want to find a particular one. No guilt- but inconvenient.

GramS said...

Sometimes I think it's hard to decide what part of a picture you have to cut off. I mean, doesn't the whole picture look nice? I'm with you, Mar. And I have lots and lots of pictures to prove it. Now that we have a digital camera, all the pictures end up on Dad's computer, so I don't feel so guilty about having double prints setting around. And I do love to look at other's talents of scrapbooking.

LindaSue said...

Like you, Mar, I have many unused, still wrapped albums around and all kinds of fun stickers and other stuff, neat scissors to use, and shoeboxes filled with pictures (okay, two boxes filled with them...that is, two boxes that reams of paper come in filled with shoe boxes filled with photos, all nicely organized by year, haha!) -- but I really DO intend to make those wedding albums (one for us, one for each set of parents), one for each year of my kids' life, some general ones, etc. One day! When there is some spare time! And no little hands to mess things up too much! Maybe when we start home schooling and they are quietly doing school work, teaching themselves...and the market is running itself...and I catch up with the dozens and dozens of books waiting to be read on my shelf...and.....

liz said...

Not a scrapbooker. Never have been. Unlikely to become one.

I'm with you--blogging is a better fit for me.

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head!! I'm glad I'm not the only one drowning in guilt because of undone scrapbooks. For a year I've had everything ready to make a "Heritage Album" for Denises' 30th birthday, and just don't have the motivation! She'll be 31 in a few weeks....
A.Kath

Anonymous said...

Sounds like confession time for "scrappers"! I can't even count the number of boxes of photos (No, they're not organized per year like LindaSue's), I have some albums started, (albums, not scrap books!) and as for my digital pictures, they've been on my camera for almost a year. I don't even have all of the ones on my computer organized! But I do enjoy looking as some when I have time! Kath sould shoot for Denise's 40th birthday...a bigger milestone!)