Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Swimming Lessons, VBS and Milestones = Maturity


Well, I wanted to post this last week already, but I didn't have pictures of Stephen's swimming lessons downloaded yet, so I thought I'd wait. I still don't have them downloaded yet, but I'm going to post anyway.

We finished two weeks of Stephen's swimming lessons last Friday. He did great! His greatest accomplishment this year was his bravery in going down the slide into the pool! Last year when the teachers would ask him to go, he flatly refused! This year, he told me that it was his favorite part and he wanted to do it over and over again! Yeah!!! Maturity on his part!

This week is our VBS. In our church, you officially start VBS at age 3. Timothy won't be three until September 15, so we were planning on just having him in the babyroom w/the babysitters while I took care of my teaching assignments. I knew he'd be bored in there with all the REAL babies, but rules are rules, right? Still, on Monday morning, I swallowed my pride and asked the three year old teacher if there might be a chance that Timothy could join her class since there were only four other kids in there this year. She was thrilled and said that just that morning she had woken up with Timothy on her mind and wanted to ask if he wanted to join them! She took this as the Lord speaking to her, and was excited that I asked! So, Timothy went to VBS for the first time this year. Signs of maturity for Timothy!!

Christopher surprised us last week by FINALLY learning to crawl! He had been dragging himself around and scooting to where he wanted to go. He has blisters and callouses on his hands, right leg and both feet to prove it, but this week, he finally realized that crawling on his hands and knees got him there faster and with less rug burn. He's also finally learned to pull himself up and loves to stand ... especially in bed! To top it all off, he also popped his first tooth on Monday! He's the lastest one for that accomplishment. Our baby Christopher is maturing, too.

So, everyone seems to be maturing in our family ... what about me? Yes, even I am maturing. I'm realizing more and more that there is truth in the Proverbs when it says over and over in so many ways that a wise man will keep his thoughts to himself and fools open their mouths. It's better to be silent than to spout all you know... or think you know. It's been very interesting this week to be at VBS in the kitchen during my breaks. There are so many conversations going on and when you step back and just listen, you can hear such boasting and pride and bragging and gossip. It's unbelievable! It's so cleverly disguised in everyone's speech and choice of words, but it's there! Today's conversation got so touchy (at least to me anyway) that I had to leave right in the middle of it. So many opinions were being shared with such conviction and I just felt awkward listening to everyone trying to prove their point. Should I have said something? I don't know. I think not. I honestly believe that the Lord is asking me to mature in this area of idle chit chat and to be the one to remain silent. It's not easy for me. I love to give my opinion, too, but I want to be more of a wise man who keeps my thoughts to myself than to be a fool and tell all I know.

Oh boy. I just confessed this on a BLOG!!!! Isn't that what this is all about?! Sharing my words and thoughts and opinions?! Well, I just hope that I am simply sharing my life with all you readers and that no gossip would be repeated and that you would be encouraged by the things I write. I DO want to be a wise (wo)man!! Keep me accountable to this, would you?! :) Thanks!

No comments: