Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hot Dogs and Ketchup

So my dear friend Karla shared something that her sister Melinda and her sister-in-law Irene shared with her.

Hot dogs with ketchup should never be served to children.

Hot dogs without ketchup are ok. Ketchup with any other food is ok. The combination of hot dogs and ketchup should be avoided at all costs ... especially for children four and under. I might even add "especially if those children are boys."

According to Melinda, Irene and Karla, if you give this combination of foods to children, they will become hyper strangers before your eyes. They will do things that you didn't think they were capable of doing. Their actions will go beyond anything that you, as a parent, have so diligently taught them.

I doubted.

Now I believe.

Tonight was Men's Bible Study at our house. The adults had grilled sausages on a bun. The boys had hot dogs ... with ketchup! * Oh * My * Goodness * !!!!! After tonight, I don't know that I will ever serve that combination to them again on a night that I want them to be cooperative an hour later! What a circus we had going on here! Timothy would NOT stop laughing! His laughing is usually so incredibly cute, but tonight it was awfully annoying! Stephen acted as if he didn't have a clue what things meant in the English language. They were both so high strung and out of control that Timothy was forced to get out of his bath prematurely, they only got to hear half a story, only I got to pray our thank you prayers before bed, and they got a severe warning after bouncing out of bed umpteen times while I was trying to lay down the law for the night.

SIGH

All is quiet now, but I'm going to believe Karla's words from now on and I will NOT be serving my boys hot dogs with ketchup any time soon!

Even if that's not why they were going bezerk tonight, that's ok. We can skip hot dogs and ketchup for a long, long time.

No comments: