Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Splinter and The Beam

Lest I come across as seeming holier-than-thou in yesterday's post about the conversations in the kitchen at VBS, let me continue on this subject today. I need to amend yesterday's post by saying that not all the conversations in that kitchen this week have been full of boastings and gossip. Not at all! We've discussed child-rearing issues, improvements for next year's VBS (although that could all change considering we'll be in the new church by then), funny stories about everything in the world, exchanged recipes, etc. I enjoy the fellowship around a cup of coffee and a treat, no question about it! I guess it all hit me yesterday because I took a step back and really started listening to the conversations instead of participating for a change. :)

Stephen lately has been pointing out all of Timothy's flaws to the rest of us. Timothy doesn't put his coloring paper straight on the table. Timothy decided to pick up his chicken nugget with his fingers instead of his fork. Etc. Etc. So I decided the other day that there was a teachable moment to be had. I told Stephen about the splinter and beam principle from the scriptures. It wasn't the easiest concept to explain to a four-year-old, but I tried. I want him to learn a lesson earlier in life than I did. As I was telling him how important it is for us to get out the beams in our own eyes before we pick out the splinter in our brother's, I found myself using examples from my own life to help him understand. THAT was convicting! Especially now that I've shared with you my feelings on yesterday's kitchen conversations. Who am I to scratch at and irritate someone else's splinters of boasting and bragging and gossipping when I get so caught up in that myself?! This is why I'm glad that I confessed it on here and am asking for your accountability. I have so many beams in this heart's "eye" that I'm surprised I can even spot the splinters in someone else's!

I have a long, long way to go, but I sincerely want to learn to deal with my own beams before I start to dig at my brother's splinters.

No comments: