Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 - Here We Are!

Ten years ago we were worried about Y2K. Ten years later, and so much has changed, yet so much remains the same. Those thoughts are too deep for me to deal with right now, so instead of making this a thought-provoking, heavy duty post, I'll just keep it lighthearted.

Here are some quotes from the kids already on this first day of the year:

Christopher is sleeping soundly upstairs during a much-needed nap. I tell Stephen to sneak upstairs and get his socks so we can go sledding outside. Stephen creeps ever-so-quietly up the stairs, gets to the top and turns around and SHOUTS, "Mommy! I sneaked up quietly just like you asked!!" So much for that much-needed nap.

As we're sledding outside, I am starting to freeze so I tell the boys that since I don't have any snow pants, I'm going in. I warn them about being careful and to bail out if the sled gets too close to the fence and to watch out for each other, etc. I tell them that they are each other's partners today and that if someone gets hurt, the other must run in immediately to get help from Daddy or me! Stephen says, "I really hope Timothy gets hurt bad because I can run like the wind! I can get help for him really fast. I hope he gets hurt." (Thankfully no one got hurt and no one had to run like the wind.)

Timothy asked for a snack. I gave him some candy-coated sunflower seeds. He said, "I think I would like about three of them, or maybe 2,000." (Because those numbers are so close?!)

We're filling out our new 2010 calendar and I tell Timothy to put a birthday sticker on September 15. "Why?" asks Christopher. "Because that day is your birthday and Timothy's!" I tell him. "Can we have cake NOW?" asks Christopher with such elation! Watching that bubble burst was sad and comical at the same time.

Happy New Year to all of you! May you enjoy the little treasures of life as you interact with God's creation of humanity all year long!

3 comments:

a.peg said...

Kids are so honest! No wonder Grandma P. kept a diary of our antics when we were little. Some things never change.

GramS said...

You could have made a birthday cake for Grandpa since I didn't.
I love your boys' comments. They'll laugh at them in 10-15 years.

liz said...

I miss you all!