Monday, September 1, 2008

Saving Money

I have to tell you about our deal for the day! We went to a local park today just for fun and God blessed us with a wonderful surprise! The Labor Union (or actually Labour Union - we ARE in Canada, you know) was having a free picnic for the public. You had to pay for the food (we brought our own), but they had free train rides for the kids, free horse and carriage rides, free pony rides, free mini-golf and balloons and a bouncey cage thing. They also had free watermelon, free bags of chips and free tootsie-pops! Wow! Did we feel like we struck gold today! The kids were beside themselves with excitement and Fred and I felt blessed that our kids had a blast and we didn't have to pay a cent for it! I LOVE deals like this!

Most of you know by now that I am an extremely frugal person. Some of you have your own ways of describing my money-saving tendencies (like tightwad, cheap, miser, whatever!), but I'm not ashamed of it. I have always tried to use my money wisely and not to squander it (some of you think I go to the extreme when it comes to not spending money), but sometimes I have no choice. Like now.

Now that we've sold our business, I am doing my best to help the financial strain that we've been feeling. I've been working at my Watkins business to bring in some added income, but with the kids always demanding my attention, it hasn't been super easy to focus on that. I have found that the best way to save money is to not spend it. That's all fine and well, except that we live in a society where we HAVE to spend money, at least on some things.

My sister and I were talking about this subject the other day and we were laughing, and frustrated at the same time, because we've been reading all these ways-to-save-money books and articles. I'm sure you've read them, too. You know, the ones that go from "Tip #1 - Let your housekeeper and personal chef go and start cooking and cleaning for yourself" (Uhhh.... ok. I never thought of that!) to "Tip #10 - Buy two-ply toilet paper and unroll them to create two seperate rolls." Not all these articles are very practical, but some of them are just common sense:
  • Cook at home instead of eating out (Check! Already do that one. Can't remember the last time I ordered a meal to go.)
  • Borrow books and videos from the library instead of purchasing them (Check! Do this one, too!)
  • Take a walk in a local park instead of paying for an amusement park (Check! Duh! Who wouldn't think of this one?!)
  • Use re-usable containers for lunches instead of throwing away plastic bags (Check! Must do anyway, since our school is a "green" school and doesn't allow throw-away items)
  • Make your own pizza at home instead of ordering out (Check! It's a rare thing to order pizza at this house!)
So, my question to my readers is this: what are some things that YOU do to save some money here and there that are unique and may NOT be in all the books and articles written on how to save money? I can use any fresh, new tips that you may have! Pour them on!

8 comments:

Paula said...

I think we need a book for people who already know how to save money with common sense but need to save more! Those articles always seem so hopeful, but we usually are doing 90% of those things already anyway! The newest and best advice we've had lately is to pay cash for everything. This saves soooo much money, because if it's not in your wallet, you don't spend it.

Anonymous said...

I think having the reputation as a frugal person saves you all kinds of money! I don't get invited to home sales parties anymore because I don't intend to buy anything. I do my shopping at thrift stores, and I make most of the gifts I give. I cook extra food and share with my family living close and use frozen quiche etc. for my ministry to those who need help. I give my time and energy instead of money to community fundraisers and I wear and reuse rather than get new.

Also- and this is really important- I don't buy at the stores that make you buy in volume,unless I have someone to share the cost. So many people think they are getting a great deal when they end up stuck with stale or overstocked items.

And I've been using Hydrogen Peroxide for a mouthwash-which is so much cheaper and does a better job.
Ok- I'll stop now - maybe I should write a book for real cheapskates!

liz said...

I was calling myself lazy. I have cut out laundry products (except for soap) and window cleaner and even some dish soap, and dusting stuff--because I ran out and I can't seem to remember to put this stuff on the grocery list. Guess what--water cleans just fine!

And I just read in Consumer Reports today that when they tested window cleaner all of the best of the best did as well as...tap water!

GramS said...

Keep looking for those bargains. And coupons if it's something you would buy anyhow. Quit driving so much, or double up on your errands (which I know you do anyhow)
When we were kids, we washed windows and mirrors with a wet rag and dried them with newspapers (no lint, and it left a good, clean window without streaks)
You've got another plus that I don't around here--friends who sell fresh eggs, and have gardens, and will share their bounty.

I'd love to read a book for cheapskates(^_^).

Anonymous said...

Can and or freeze anything you can...healther-no preservitives or additives either! And it tastes so good, too! Baking cookies vs. store bought, sewing, etc. (I sound like Grandma, now). Recycle whatever you can use in the near future. (If not, tag it for what you intend to do with it...then your family won't have to guess what you were going to do with it after you die...that's a voice from experience)
Take advantage of the wonders of God's creation. It's free! The sunrises and sunsets, the night sky, thunder storms and lightening displays, etc. Your whole family can enjoy this together. And enjoy being a "tightwad". Not to many young ones around any more!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I recently tried Gram's "baking soda" tooth "paste" and found out it cleans good, and leaves your mouth refreshed...along with the peroxide mouth rinse!
Also, shop only the "clearance racks, or the "manager's special's..., but check the exp. dates first.)

Karen said...

Put all your leftovers in empanadas! hahahahaha
Oh, and, mom, people still use the old newspapers on windows here. It actually works better than any spray or rag!

Unknown said...

Fried rice the next morning for breakfast, going to the market everyday for food, drinking room-temp water, frying any leftovers, realizing that coffee doesn't HAVE to be in the freezer (just buy smaller amounts at a time), etc. and you eliminate the need for a fridge/freezer. This saves lots in electricity. Well, haven't quite gotten there yet, but it's an idea.