Thursday, September 11, 2008

Another First Day of Kindergarten

Today was Timothy's first day of Junior Kindergarten. He was so excited to be going to school today that he was up and dressed by 7:05 and had his cereal poured by 7:06. At 7:15, he was finished and had his backpack on and asked how much longer until the bus would be there. Poor kid. He couldn't grasp the concept that he still had an hour and a half to go before the bus would come.

Christopher got in on the excitement, too. He zipped downstairs, still in his jammies and saggy diaper, ran to the laundry room, grabbed his shoes and stood by the front door saying, "Goolbus kumin! Goolbus kumin!" He was pretty upset when I had to pry him away from the door and forced him to get dressed and eat his breakfast.

Stephen was the only one that wasn't as excited. I had to keep prodding him along; reminding him to get dressed, to eat his breakfast, to go to the bathroom, to get his shoes on, to put on his coat, to get his backpack, etc. I felt like I had to think for him this morning.

We did make it to the bus stop on time today, as opposed to Tuesday when we had to run like crazy (because she was EARLY!!! Ok, and because we were a tad bit late, too!). Timothy had been asking me if he was going to be going on the bus by himself today. I assured him that he would be going with Stephen, but I wasn't allowed on the bus. He was ok with that. When the bus pulled around the corner, he just stood there looking at me, shivering with excitement! I told him to go get in line and he did. Then when all the kids in front of him had gotten on, I realized that he was still standing there where I had left him, with about 10 other kids standing behind him wondering what the hold up was! I finally convinced him to go climb on the bus, but I guess we never went over what would happen next: he would need to find a seat. He tried to shove into a seat with three other older girls and they told him to go to the back. I saw him try each seat, but was shooed back, all the way to the "hump" seat (you know, the one over the tire). He and Stephen sat there just grinning away, waving like crazy at us!

Coming home, he was so cute, too! The bus stopped, he saw me out the window, and he just sat there smiling away at me. I kept motioning him to get up and get off the bus, but he just sat there smiling! The kids were almost all off and he's still sitting way in the back smiling out the window! Our sweet little neighbor girl turned around and told him that he needed to get off now and she waited for him. I'm not sure what would have happened if Emily wouldn't have noticed him still sitting there.

So, both boys have now had their first day at school and all is well. They're both happy and ready to go back again tomorrow. Poor little Christopher was a bit lost today without his noisy brothers around, and even Mommy was a bit lonely. I have to say, though, that I sure appreciated the chance to get the bathrooms cleaned and the kitchen floor washed without any interruptions!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think how quickly your cleaning efforts disappear when the older ones get home from school! Enjoy your few moments of "clean".

Martha said...

Oh, I don't have to THINK about it! I can see it even with my poor eyesight!

GramS said...

Some of our Kids 1st kids were just as excited to go on their first day. One mom took the day off just to video tape her little boy's every move, from the breakfast he ate with us, to the van ride, to walking into the bldg (she followed the van). Yesterday, one little girl cried huge crocodile tears as her Mom left..."mommy, mommy, mommy..." and as I tried to comfort her, she just slid onto the floor, still crying. Eventually she slid over to watch a cartoon some other kids had on. She was OK the rest of the day.
I hope the boys' second day went well, too.