Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Night Out

Warning: this post will be quite boring to some readers, but to me, it is my life.

I got to go out tonight ... alone. I needed to run to one of the super-giant stores to replenish some supplies and I got to go alone! We only have one working vehicle right now and Fred needs it for work, so I've pretty much been at home day in and day out for several weeks now. The only exception is the weekends when we do things together as a family. But we came to the end of a lot of supplies here and I needed to go get some shopping done.

Since Fred offered to get the boys off to bed, I decided to really enjoy myself and browse the aisles tonight. Wow. I didn't even know that Canada had some of these items now! I usually only have time to grab and go - not actually compare different items! We needed some bars of soap so I decided to check out all the other scents of body wash while I was there. Vanilla Jasmine. Waterlily and Fresh Mint. Something and Cocoa. Hmmm. Too many to choose from, so I left that section empty handed. Next stop: toilet paper. Double roll. Triple roll. Extra quilted. Cashmere. Fresh scent. Satin texture. Sigh. Once again, too many types to comprehend, so just choose the same old, same old and move on. It went on like this through my whole shopping list. There was ample time to check out all the varieties of products, but since I was used to just product recognition and grabbing what I knew I wanted and running to the next item, I didn't know how to handle looking at all the options. It became so overwhelming that I just paid for my stuff and left!

While I love to have time to myself, and while I do love looking around at all my options while shopping, I must say that overall, shopping is not for me! It's not relaxing. It's not pleasurable. It's not really satisfying except that it is a break from my monotonous routine. I had a nice night out tonight in that I didn't have to worry about putting the boys to bed and going through the fuss that generally occurs around bedtime, but I have to say that I was glad to come home and have that shopping experience behind me. AND ... it was almost quiet when I got home, so it really was worth having a night out!

2 comments:

LindaSue said...

isn't it great to get time out alone? Not only is it a bit refreshing (and overwhelming!) but it makes you appreciate those waiting at home even more :)

Anonymous said...

You sound just like a MOM of 3 children. Been there, done that! (years ago). and and like Linda said, it's good to come home and appreciate your family. You might think you lead a boring life, but just think of all those who wish they had even one little boy (or girl) to care for and nurture all day long...and all night long! I'm thankful that you love them all and do appreciate them. Love you all.